Menu
Amelia1001
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

SIM swap problems

I have an Alcatel 2051X phone. I have had a new Virgin SIM since July 30th and it works, sort of. I can now longer (but could with the old card) send messages to a landline (Failed) or to Virgin's 789445 (Failed). Presumably I could not send to any 6-figure text address: have not tried any others. Phone and other text messaging functions appear OK. This phone has no internet capability (do not want it), and consequently when Virgin sent WAP files which may have explained what to do about this, I couldn't receive them. Another thing: when I receive a picture, I have to save it to phone or SIM memory at once. If I leave the message, the picture vanishes permanently. Can anyone tell me in nice old fashioned writing what adjustments need to be made, or am I stuck with this? Virgin keep sending me messages from 789445 to ask for my postcode 'to send a new SIM card.' Check your records, guys! I have a new SIM and would like it to function properly.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM swap problems

Good morning, 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

Please could you let me know what colour sim you have currently? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Amelia1001
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak

The SIM is purple. This was sent to me as the new Virgin SIM: the old SIM would do all the things the new one won't. No doubt there a phone setting which needs changing, but I have looked at all of them and there is nothing which would explain this.

Virgin continue to ask me for my post code. This is because, when nothing happened when I gave it to them, I phoned 789 and hung on for 40 mins to order a new SIM myself. But they don't appear to have noted the despatch of the new SIM. It was when I tried to reply to the repeated messages from 789445 that I discovered that messages to that type of number now fail. I then found this applied to all such numbers, and also to landlines. This is text only: phone calls work. They are not rejected: the time lapse before Fail comes up is so short that it must be rejected by the phone/SIM.

None of this happened (or failed to happen) with the old SIM card.

Amelia

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Amelia1001,

Have you been able to get this looked into further by the team since you last posted?

if not, don't worry, I can take a further look into this but would need to take some information via a private message, so I can clear account security and look into your account.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Amelia1001
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve

Nothing further heard. How do I send a private message?

Amelia

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No problem Amelia1001, I will drop a message over to you now.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey @Amelia1001,

Thanks for confirming your details and that of the issue.

Have you had any further messages from 789445 since your last message to me?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Amelia1001
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven

I have had no further messages from 789445 since the one I mentioned yesterday, which came in when I was receiving all the messages which go with installing a new SIM.

Have been thinking about the problem and it seems to me that my phone would not be capable of deciding whether a number was valid or not, and I wouldn't suppose the SIM would be either (specially as two SIMs exhibit the same behaviour, and there are so many different number strings which can be added to at any time), which leaves the Virgin server as rejecting the numbers, on the same lines as a BT exchange saying, 'The number you dialled has not be recognised.' The puzzle is why the server would do this in response to the new SIM cards, but not the old. Have you had anyone else report this problem, and if so, do you know what make/model phone they were using? Just trying to approach the problem from maybe another angle. The only time I have ever had a Failed message before is when there was insufficient signal to send, which would be a message from the phone. I would think that a phone would be a fairly simple mechanism and would transmit any number, whether valid or not, leaving it up to the server to decide. Tell me if I'm talking nonsense!

Amelia

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No you're not talking nonsense at all Amelia, that makes perfect sense

The text messages that you send to landlines that are getting rejected, are they to one particular number or is it many numbers that won't accept the text messages. 

Do you have any other handsets that you can try the sim card in?

Regards

Steven_L

Amelia1001
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven

I'm afraid I am not going to be very helpful: the only landline I have tried is my own, because it's the only one that I know has a text facility. The other numbers (not landlines) I have tried are 789445 and a BT short number, which I happened to have a message from (but this may have not accepted replies anyway: not sure if the way it Fails reflects a rejection from the recipient, but it happens quickly). When I replaced the old new SIM with the new new SIM, I was able to text 789678 to say I was going to swap SIMs, without trouble. And there was the one occasion with the new new SIM when I texted 789445, got Failed, but also a reply. Since then I have tried 789445 as an experiment, but Failed at once.

Does Virgin have any other 6-figure numbers which I could try, just to see what happens? Of course not ones where something will happen automatically, which I won't want.

All texts to mobile numbers so far are fine, including my family in South Africa, and I can make any phone call.

As to another handset, I have an elderly Nokia which I inherited, so I tried that, but get SIM not valid - I think the late owner bought it locked to Vodafone. All my old phones have been sedulously recycled. Unfortunately.

Amelia

0 Kudos