Menu
Copperhead
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SIM swap problem

Received a letter dated 9.8.20 from Virgin with a new SIM and was advised to swap the old SIM for the new one ASAP, but within 30 days to keep the service running. The letter plus SIM didn't arrive until 25.8.20 possibly delayed in post due to Covid. Swapped the SIM on 26.8 20, but it wouldn't work without a restriction code not supplied with SIM. The same day I requested a restriction code using the form via virginmedia.com/unlock and waited for 6 days.

As no code arrived and, having replaced the old SIM in the phone, contacted Virgin using 789 on 1.9.20. After 35mins spoke to a representative, but couldn't get help as I couldn't provide a password. I'd never had one presumably because the the Pay As You Go phone was never linked to a Virgin account. Neither could I provide details about the purchase of the last top up (date and amount). I pay cash and don't keep vouchers indefinitely. I was given the option of topping up over the phone so I could pass security but I deal with cash so this wasn't an option.

Still no code so on 2.9.20, I tried the 789 route again. This time I was provided with a password and the call handler indicated all would be well he could help. Put the new SIM in and within 24 hours the new SIM would be working. It didn't of course and when the old SIM was put back in there was no service!

Yesterday, an email arrived with an unlock code. The numerical code provided did not work. There was an option to use a second code (letters and symbols) followed by the numerical code, but I couldn't find a way of inputting letters and symbols.

What can I do?

I'm elderly, vulnerable and use the phone for emergency calls and texts - or did do. Now I'm left with no service for no fault of my own.

I signed up for this forum yesterday in case I can get help. Even that was problematic. For some reason I couldn't verify subscription using my usual email address and had to set up a new one.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM swap problem

Thanks for the post Copperhead and welcome to our community.

Sadly we do need to pass security on the account to assist further with this. 

If we are able to pass security we can try find another unlock code for the handset in question to get the SIM card working, if this wasn't to work we'd fill in a form to provide a new free handset but for this we'd need to pass the account security.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Copperhead
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What can I provide to pass security? I need help to get the phone working again.

I have the letter from Virgin with the new SIM and this was sent to my correct name and address so Virgin obviously know I exist. I have the receipt for the phone bought from the Tesco store in Slough in November 2010 and the original £10 top-up voucher. I kept these as proof of purchase. They are faded, but the voucher is dated 24.11.10, [REMOVED] . I can't provide data on subsequent vouchers, all bought with cash using a top-up card, as I didn't know I'd have to keep them indefinitely. I have the E-top up card, which is still valid. This has an expiry date of 02/21.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'll pop you over a private message if you have found the details needed.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos