Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SIM swap, loss of service

Samsung C3050 phone:

My elderly mum has received her new SIM, it's been fitted to her phone as she is not technically savvy and has no home computer, and now has no service on her phone. I have the SIM card number. Is the SIM defective or not compatible with her phone, in which case can Virgin send her a compatible phone? She is on a SIM-only monthly package

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM swap, loss of service

Good morning @cmartin_ok 

Thank you for taking the time to post, I am sorry to hear about the sim card not working in the phone, are you able to let us know the approximate age of the phone? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Zak_M wrote:

Good morning @cmartin_ok 

Thank you for taking the time to post, I am sorry to hear about the sim card not working in the phone, are you able to let us know the approximate age of the phone? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Released in UK 2009

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you @enlli 

@cmartin_ok, It would seem as though the new sim might not be compatible with the device. 

I am going to drop you a PM so that I can get some account information and we can go from there. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Zak, It is a Samsung C3050 slider phone, sorry I have no idea how old it is but it does not have wifi capability.... I suspect that it is around 10 years old. Mum is 88 and cannot operate a smart phone, and in the past has refused offers to buy a more modern phone. She struggles with technology and can just about read text messages but has not worked out how to send them, even when shown what to do

EDIT: A google search shows that the phone was launched in 2009, so yes it will be around 9 or 10 years old

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting for a follow-up response....

however

Issue is now resolved. I travelled 20 miles to see mum today and we have got the phone working, VirginMedia FORGOT to activate the new SIM.

One frustrating phone call later, after being kept on hold yet again for several minutes, after trying the new SIM in a spare old smartphone that I had brought with me showed it was not working. A call to VM resulted in them checking and finding that the new SIM had not been activated and was not activating automatically when in a new phone despite the old SIM having been turned off by VM... new SIM activated during the p[hone call today, replaced in the old C3050 phone and mum now has her phone back in a working condition.

The level of incompetence show by VirginMedia is astounding, coupled with an an ability to apologise and no offer of compensation for distress or inconvenience.... I really wonder how they stay in business.

The true test of a company is not how they carry on when things are going well, but how they react when things go wrong, and in the csae of VM, it is absolutely dire.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @cmartin_ok

I am sorry for the delay in response, I finished working for the weekend at 4 o'clock on Friday. 

I am glad to hear that this has now been resolved. 

I will pass your feedback on to our management team. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos