Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

SIM not valid

Help! I've followed the instructions & put the new SIM in my old phone, & am dismayed to get the message 'SIM not valid'. I waited hours for a text, nothing. Tried phoning, gave up waiting after 3/4 hour. Tried Googling: problems galore, so joined the forum, hoping to find an answer...
More frustration - so many people having problems, not sure what the right answer is. Fortunately, old SIM still works, despite warnings it wouldn't, but only for a few more days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM not valid

If it is an older phone then there is a real possibility that it is Network locked and will not work on the new cards without unlocking 

Do you know the make and model an where purchased?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Nokia 1800, purchased in 2011, I think from Virgin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Then it will be network locked. There is a form to get the code.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/unlock-code-request1

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

My husband has an old Nokia phone on pay as you go. 

He uses it very little so it does the job for him, text and phone in and out. 

He received a text that they needed to send him a new sim card. 

It arrived today, I followed all the instructions but it came up SIM not valid. 

He still  has £5.83 on old Sim.

Can't get to talk to anyone...... , no answers to this anywhere, if they stop his old sim he's stuffed.

It's easy they said, yeah right........ 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I will probably be in the same position as your husband when my SIM arrives. Virgin finally posted one of my questions and said they deal with these issues on a one-by-one basis. I have flagged your comment for a Moderator in the hope that you will get some attention from Virgin.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I've clicked on the link that ennli suggested, now waiting to hear back. A bit worried though, as letter that came with SIM says please swap in next 30 days, & time is running out...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I have now re-set the Flag for Moderator (I hope that means removed the flag) because the flag is for inappropriate content. Your comment is clearly not inappropriate but it needs to be brought to Virgin's attention. 

Please Virgin make it clear just what 'Flag for Moderator' means. I read your rule and it said do not hesitate to use the flag but did not make clear until I had used the flag what it was for. 

I am considering buying a new phone which people say works with a new SIM or abandoning the old one and going elsewhere. It would be expensive but less stressful and time-consuming. At the moment, it is like waiting for the axe to fall (new SIM to arrive).

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

But this is an unlocked phone, been on virgin all its life, same number just a new sim that they wanted to upgrade. I can't do anything with it only emergency calls. 😭

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

For all those struggling to get their phones unlocked I just want to say they will work fine on those networks that use EE based SIM cards. 

Just putting it out as an option 

0 Kudos