Menu
UKDJ
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

'SIM not valid' query

My elderly father has received an unsolicited new SIM from VMob. As reported by numerous other Posts, inserting it in his (equally aged) Nokia 3410 results in the 'SIM not valid' message.

Before I try to convince him to buy a newer (non-smartphone) handset, I have a query about this new SIM... His current PAYG SIM actually lets HIM decide when to top up - be that monthly, every 3/6/12 months, i.e. when he has actually USED his credit! Will this new SIM operate in the same way or, as my experience tells me, will he have to top up monthly (despite it being described as a PAYG SIM) whether or not the credit is used???

Second question - Unfortunately, just before receiving this new SIM he inexplicably topped up the old phone with quite a large amount. If we manage to get a phone that does work with the new SIM, will he be able to transfer the credit? The letter that came with the new SIM says his number won't change so maybe this won't be an issue, but I'm not convinced! TIA.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'SIM not valid' query

Hello

Currently the PAYG service has to be used at least ever 90 days to remain actiive, i.e. making 1 call or text every 90 days.

The new SIM will operate in the same way only needs to topup when empty.

The money is not allocated to the phone it is allocated to the phone number so the balance will transfer over to the new SIM and will have the same phone number.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Messybeast
Up to speed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I spent a lot of time researching this (as I have a Nokia) and the problem is that most of the old Nokia phones have a software lock (meaning the software in the phone's processor chip) and this cannot be unlocked using a remote unlocking code. The only way to unlock affected Nokias is by downloading new software into the processor - basically reprogramming the phone. It means the new SIMs aren't compatible with the network locking method used by these older Nokias. Unfortunately if you have an affected Nokia, you won't be able to unlock it by typing a code into the handset.

This isn't a problem with Virgin's SIM set up, it is how Nokia set up their phones to hard-lock them to a network (VM used to use the EE network so that is what the phones got locked to).  There is software out there on the internet, but it means connecting the phone (by cable) to a computer so you can download new processor software into it (there's also no guarantee it will work properly).

UKDJ
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies...

I'm going to try another slightly newer (but still quite old, non-smartphone!) Nokia I have laying around, before looking at a new handset...

Will bear in mind the '90-day use-it-or-lose-it' info...

0 Kudos
UKDJ
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Messybeast

Do you have a link to, or a name for, this software?

0 Kudos
UKDJ
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE ...

We have decided to give up on VMob!

After holding for an hour, the Advisor who eventually answered kept asking for various characters from my Father's password. The only password he has ever knowingly had was for his VirginMedia (TV/broadband) account, which apparently didn't match the password for Virgin Mobile - I'm not sure if he has ever spoken to anyone about his Virgin Mobile PAYG account before.

After getting absolutely nowhere for over an hour trying to find out the remaining credit on his mobile, the battery died! He will just have to use the 'new' SIM until his credit runs out, or expires - then I advised him to pick up a new SIM from a different network operator...!

#FAIL for Virgin Mobile

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post UKDJ and sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving us. 

In regards to the security on the account, if the account holder contacts us we can go through alternative security questions in regards to the account.

The SIM card should operate in the exact same way as the previous SIM card, any changes to the offering on the account would be advised to the account holder over email. 

If you'd still like us to look into this, can we please confirm if any message shows on the handset when you insert the new SIM card?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
UKDJ
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily, 

As far as calls and texts go, the new SIM is working in the replacement handset I gave my Father. The only issue is, when calling '789' from the handset the message says (something like) "the balance is not available, please try later...".

As we know there was over £30 credit when the SIM was switched, I advised my Father to keep using it until either he gets a message telling him his credit is low or until the phone stops working, then to pick up a replacement SIM. As he uses the phone very little, this could be some time!

• The only time he received an error message was when putting the new SIM in his old phone (see earlier Posts) which is why we tried a different handset...
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello UKDJ

Thanks for your reply and the full explanation 

Can you ask your Father to check his balance this way as well

Text Balance to 789789

Let us know what happens please 

Gareth_L

UKDJ
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth_L

I have now had a chance to try your suggestion - no go!

The message returned just says "You haven't got any minutes left to use this month." i.e. nothing about the credit remaining from the old PAYG SIM, despite it being the same number!

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos