Menu
Annaduck
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SIM not valid - no working phone

I have a Nokia 1616. When I tried to swap my SIM card over it wouldn't work. This forum informed me that Virgin no longer supports the older Nokias. Fine. I got a cheap PAYG SIM from Talk Mobile so I could continue to use my phone. However, their SIM doesn't work in my phone either, and their customer service says it's because the handset is locked to Virgin.

I'd like to know:

a.  Is this true?

b. If it's true, can you please fix it asap as I'm currently without a phone!

c. If it's true, why was it locked? I didn't buy it from you, and I was on a rolling contract which said it wouldn't lock my handset.

Could you please try and get me an answer quickly? I've been trying to deal with this for over a week.

Thank you! Anna.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM not valid - no working phone

Hi Annaduck,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you are unable to use the replacement SIM. There are 3 possible reasons:

• The SIM is not active - I can check this for you if needed
  • The handset is locked - there should be an unlock code included along with instruction, if one was provided by the manufacturer
  • The handset incompatible - this one, regrettably may be due to the age of the phone.

I'll send you a PM shortly to check the SIM status.

Cheers,
Corey C

0 Kudos
Annaduck
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

As I said above, I already know Virgin no longer supports the Nokia 1616. I just need to know why the phone won't work with TalkMobile's SIM either.
The handset is still working, it worked with the old Virgin SIM card just fine, but when I put any other card in it says 'SIM not Valid.' TalkMobile have said this means the handset must be locked to Virgin. I need to know if that's the case. (There was no unlock code provided with the changeover letter from Virgin.) If the handset is locked, I need it unlocking, and I want to know why it was locked in the first place. I still have no working phone. Please help me sort this out!

Thanks,
Anna
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK read through. 

OK the phone was not bought from Virgin and as Virgin don't have their own network they would not be able to lock it subsequently.

As the phone does not work on the new SIM cards and Talkmobile which is Vodafone based, I am fairly sure it is locked to only run on SIM cards which are based on EE. Owing to the age of the phone the initial locking may well have been done by either T-Mobile or Orange which subsequently became EE 

So we have a phone made by a company that no longer exists in the mobile market (New Nokia are a different company) We have it locked by a network that possibly no longer exists all making it difficult to get an unlock code 

The good news is that if you intend to keep the phone then EE, BT, Plusnet, ASDA and 1p Mobile SIM cards will work. Any other network is a no 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Annaduck
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! That's very helpful. In theory Virgin are asking EE for an unlock code for me. But as this was weeks ago and they couldn't really tell me anything other than 'We'll ask EE, but, you know, COVID', I haven't really been holding my breath! I don't need a mobile for anything other than texts and calls, and whilst I know it would be far more sensible to just buy a new cheap phone, it irks me to think of all the raw materials and pollutants generated when I have (had?!) a perfectly good working phone already.
Thanks for doing Virgin's job for them - it is much appreciated!
0 Kudos
Annaduck
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

5 days ago you said you're were about to send me a message to help sort this out.

I haven't received anything.

Could you please get back to me?

It's been weeks since my phone stopped working and I'd really like for it get sorted out!

Thanks,

Anna.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Annaduck, Apologies, sending again.

0 Kudos
sarahisaiah
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have a nokia text and ring 1616 phoen but Virgin have sent a replacement sim an d it doesn't work in my 1616.They said I have to have the sim or I will get cut off an d blocked tomorrow.They sent the sim weeks ago.I trie d it today and it wont work with the new virgin sim they sent me .It says insert sim even tho I have.They want to send me a nokia 105 but I like my nokia 1616.What can I do pls as they will block my old sim tomorrow even tho it works fine.Thanks

0 Kudos
sarahisaiah
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

but can u keep same number pls?thanks

0 Kudos
sarahisaiah
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have a nokia text and ring 1616 phoen but Virgin have sent a replacement sim an d it doesn't work in my 1616.They said I have to have the sim or I will get cut off an d blocked tomorrow.They sent the sim weeks ago.I trie d it today and it wont work with the new virgin sim they sent me .It says insert sim even tho I have.They want to send me a nokia 105 but I like my nokia 1616.What can I do pls as they will block my old sim tomorrow even tho it works fine.Thanks
0 Kudos