Menu
CRBrett
Tuning in
Message 1 of 52
Flag for a moderator

SIM not valid - Virgin losing customers?

I see from these boards that many customers are being left stranded by Virgin.  My parents, both in their eighties, have a basic Nokia mobile phone that fulfils their needs.  They have just been told to install a new SIM card which, when it arrived, only produces a “SIM not valid” message on the screen.  They have tried several times to speak to a human being to find out how to solve this problem, but have not succeeded in getting through.  The help on the Virgin web pages gives no help, and the chat function is non-existent (I can’t find it if it does still exist).  They have taken a bus into the local city where two Virgin shops are advertised, but both these have closed.

I have tried to help and have come across these forums.  It seems there are many people with older mobiles all with the same problem.  But no solution anywhere!  I guess Virgin just want to sell higher end phones?  (The calls I receive from Virgin on my account are for only that purpose.)

At the moment the plan is to use the money on the original SIM (which fortunately still works) until it runs out, then ditch Virgin and sign-up with a provider that cares about its customers.

I have to say that I am stunned at how poor Virgin’s service is.

Rach13
Tuning in
Message 2 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM not valid - Virgin losing customers?

Can't help but I can sympathise as I have exactly the same problem. Parents in their 80s, old Nokia phone, SIM not valid.

I managed to find the live chat eventually, but they were unable to help as I could not answer the security questions. Apparently my parents have a password, but are unable to remember it, so the person on the live chat could not help further and suggested my parents call customer services, where no doubt (if they actually get through to someone) they will be asked to give details from the password they cannot remember.

The person did suggest that the only solution would be for them to send out a new handset to my parents, but they couldn't do that because I could not answer the security questions. Surely they could send something to my parents home address?

I cannot find a contact email address to complain about this and am tempted to send an old school letter, if I can find a postal address!

Does anyone know how to contact Virgin?

Virgin seem to think that everyone understands mobile phones and SIM cards and has access to the internet, but this is just not the case.  Changing provider seems like the best option to me too. Dreadful customer service.

Inferno
Up to speed
Message 3 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I think Virgin are in the process of shutting down from what I've experienced over the last few months.

Get out while you can, and use another provider.  Literally any company, anything, is better than Virgin.
Hell, a cup and string will be better than Virgin at this stage.

The only way I managed to get through to Virgin was to post on here, and wait for one of the Forum Team to reply to you.  This can take over a week, but the forum team are helpful and should be able to reset your password hopefully.

When you have your password, the best option really is to go to another provider and take out a new SIM card with them. You can then request a PAC code from Virgin, which you can then give to your new provider.  Doing this will bring your old number accross to the new SIM, plus automatically close the account with Virgin.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi CRBrett

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I'd like to help with this. Has the activation of the SIM happened?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rach13

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the SIM issues. 

What handsets do they have please? Also was a security letter sent out for them?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
CRBrett
Tuning in
Message 6 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply John_GS.  Unfortunately I don't understand your question "has the SIM been activated?".  How am I supposed to know?  Do you mean (a) was the SIM activated before it was sent to my parents' home?, or (b) should my parents have done something (as yet unspecified) to activate it?  We aren't employees of Virgin's mobile phone division so you need to use plain English.

If there is a solution to this then Virgin need to phone my parents (on their landline) and talk to them through the minutiae of the steps needed (keep in mind that they are non-techie eighty-year-olds).  I can provide these details easily if there is a Private Messaging side to these forums (BTW, I am a complete newbie to these forums.  I only accessed them for the first time yesterday afternoon as a last resort to try to find a solution to this problem.  I am not interested in collecting badges so please do not send me any).

You can see that a few other people have made comments about my post - thanks for these.  There is a theme here.  Surely it would have been in Virgin's interest to test these new SIMs on a range of mobiles before sending them out?  Also, it would be useful to know what will happen if a SIM "upgrade" is not carried out.  Is it simply a loss of functionality or will the service stop altogether?

I'm looking forward to swift rectification of this issue.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. 

We're an online team so we're not able to arrange or make calls. 

What handsets do your parents have please?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
CRBrett
Tuning in
Message 8 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I've just spoken to my mother, and I won't repeat what she has just said about Virgin's service, suffice to say she is looking for another service provider.

In the meantime, I'm expecting a solution from Virgin so I do appreciate your efforts.  Hopefully you'll be able to explain the steps to take to me so that I can expedite them (which will be tomorrow or Friday at the earliest).

The phone is a Nokia 1112.  It's not a smart phone (they don't want one) and is more than sufficient for their needs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Rach13
Tuning in
Message 9 of 52
Flag for a moderator

My parents have the same handset as CRBrett's parents - a Nokia 1112.

This is their preferred handset but they also have an old Alcatel handset. I have tried to insert the SIM into this one but this requires an unlock code which I requested last week via the website. I haven't heard anything since.

My parents have not received a security letter.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Let me PM you CRBrett and we'll discuss this further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos