cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card stopped working abroad, except notification of voicemails

asj146
Tuning in

I'm currently in Peru, and on occasion I need to receive a text message from my bank to login, which I use for my business. For several weeks, the bank hasn't asked for a text code, but now it is. I need to login. Each time I could just put the sim in my phone and receive the text message, but now it doesn't work. I get errors like "not registered on network". I still get a notification of voicemails when I put it in, but I can't send or receive texts, I tried the call option too, but it didn't ring and the bank said I didn't answer. I can't access the voicemails either. I've used the virgin sim toolkit app to select international roaming, I've got roaming on, I've manually put in the APN, I also tried with my partner's phone but it was exactly the same. I tried cleaning the SIM, restarted the phone, tried turning off mobile data and 4g for 3g only, but no difference. I tried manually selecting networks too, tried the automatic selection option and plane mode on and off, and while connected and disconnected to wifi. I also tried putting another sim in my phone and then the virgin sim, but nothing works. It's been working for months, and now nothing. If the solution is to send me another SIM, it will almost certainly take weeks to arrive. The average delivery time is 6 weeks.

6 REPLIES 6

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Asj146, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting, and taking the time to explain your current situation. 

Sorry to hear you have been having issues using your Sim abroad in Peru recently. For more information about roaming in Peru please head to this page and search 'Peru' in the top search bar. 

Can I ask how long you have been using your mobile abroad? 

Have you received any text communication's from us letting you know you have reached your Data Cap?

If data roaming has stopped working you will need to check a few things as listed in our Using Virgin Mobile abroad help page. 

1) Check data roaming is set 'ON' in your Virgin Mobile account. 

2) Check your device settings for data roaming are also 'ON'. 

3) Reboot the handset. 

4) Complete a manual network search

5) Check your APN settings

Let us know how you get on! All the best. 

Molly

As stated in my original post. I have done all of those things already. My data is entirely unused as I use another sim card while here. I only insert the virgin sim to receive text messages for this kind of reason. The last time I needed to use it for this purpose was probably over a month ago, but less than 2 months ago. I have been using it in Peru since November. Bills are also up to date.

I also get the error Sim Not Provisioned for Voice

Thank you for coming back to us! 

As you have been in Peru since November it may be the case you have fallen outside of our Mobile Fair use policy. 

Do you have the SIM tool kit app installed?

SIM TOOLKIT 

For Android:
Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
It is critical that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the Uf Settings > Mobile Data > Sim applications
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select National - you are done, go back to Home screen

Please let us know if not, and we will send you a PM to confirm a few details and offer further support. 

All the best!

Molly

I have done that. I have somewhat resolved the issue with live chat. I was sent a new sim card while I've been here, and the sim card I have here in Peru has been deactivated. Unfortunately, when placed in someone else's phone, it doesn't seem to work, and the pin that is provided with the sim card doesn't work. I'll speak with chat again tomorrow to try to activate the sim. It's also unfortunate that sending just the sim card here with DHL costs £80 cheapest or over £110 with FedEx for something that is under 2cm and barely weighs a gram. I will instead simply try to remove the number from my bank's 2FA

Thank you for coming back to us! Glad to hear you were able to get further support with this via Chat, hopefully the replacement SIM gets this sorted for you. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

All the best. 

Molly