Menu
Katie13
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SIM card registration failed on Nokia 2610

HI,

I have a pay-as-you-go contract with Virgin on my old Nokia (Model 2610). Since the change in the PAYG contracts last November I haven't actually sent any texts or made phone calls. I only use the phone to get texts, once a week, as I am currently living in an area with a bad mobile signal (so only check when I go to a nearby town once a week to shop). For the past 2 weeks my phone has the message 'SIM card registration failed' whenever I turn it on and so I cannot use it. I've read the PAYG info and understand that a period of 365 days has been given since the changes in November, for people to opt out of the new PAYG. I wondered if the reason my SIM card was not working is because my contract has been cancelled a month or so eariler than the specified 365 days.

(I know lots of people have been having problems with replacement SIM cards but my SIM card is the original one that came with the phone whenever it was bought years ago!)

Any ideas from anyone would be great. Thank you!

Katie

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SIM card registration failed on Nokia 2610

Most likely you have been disconnected for none use. PAYG customer are required to make a chargeable call or send a chargeable text every 90 days to keep the account active.

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

3.5 No refund: If you don’t use all of the credit in any Top Up that you purchase, or such Top Up expires (if applicable) then we will not give you a refund for it. If this Agreement is cancelled (unless you cancel in accordance with Clause 5.4) then you will also lose any credit you have on your account and we will not refund it to you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Katie13
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

HI Enlli,

Thanks for the speedy and very helpful response. Do you know how I can re-activate my SIM card/acccount then?

Many thanks,

Katie

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm afraid you can't. Once a PAYG SIM is disconnected the number is returned to a pool to be reissued sometime in the future. Further bad news is Virgin have stopped issuing PAYG cards around 12 months ago.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Katie13
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ah thanks for the response, Enlli. 

Big sigh on my part. Never mind.

At least I can still access my phone book on the phone so I can notifty everyone about my now defunct mobile number!

Thanks again for your time and being so helpful.

Katie

0 Kudos