Menu
bh015c1827
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SIM card not working / replacement please

Hi,

I have a virgin SIM card as part of my package.  It was not used for a number of months as I already had another contract elsewhere.  Now it is showing as no signal and emergency use only.

I'm assuming it has been deactivated through lack of use (which I assumed only happened to PAYG SIMs).  Can it please be reactivated or can another one be sent to me?

Kind Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM card not working / replacement please

Hi Paul.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

My apologies for the SIM card issue. From the details checked, it's not deactive. Have you got signal since posting? If not, is the handset you're using it in unlocked? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
bh015c1827
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

I have an unlocked (purchased SIM-free) dual SIM phone which contains a work SIM card and the Virgin SIM card.  Previously the Virgin SIM worked fine, I made a couple of calls with it and I received texts from Virgin each month regarding my allowances.  I received texts from Virgin on 23 Aug, 23 Sep, 23 Oct and then nothing since then.  Since that point the Virgin SIM has shown as Emergency calls only and I can now neither use it to make calls or to use data.

Just in case an issue with my phone, this morning I swapped the SIM slots, but again, only my work SIM works.

Kind Regards,

Paul

PS. I live in North London and should have excellent signal strength.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me, Paul.

Have you got another phone you can try the SIM card in just to see if this works in there? That will confirm if it's the SIM or the phone

Kind regards,

John

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
bh015c1827
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I do not have another phone.

Kind Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, 

I'll send you a private message to confirm we are looking at the right account and send a replacement if needed.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
bh015c1827
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I spent yesterday trying to figure out if there was anything wrong with the phone or SIM myself and noticed that the APN of the Virgin SIM was variants of BASE.BE which seemed really strange as that seems to be an overseas provider.  I tried changing the network operator manually and this didn't help and entering Vrigin's APN (found on the internet) also did not help.

Ultimately I stumbled upon the app "SIM Tool Kit" which had a roaming option for the Virgin SIM.  I changed the "Mode" from automatic to manual and then back to automatic and suddenly I then had signal and the SIM now works fine.

No idea what the problem was as I've not left the country in over a year so it does not make sense for it to have been /stuck/ on a roaming network.  In any event all sorted.

Kind Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying Paul,

The APN is for internet configurations, are you able to check for my PM?

But it is interesting that the phone is showing as roaming? Have you been able to check under the network settings to see if it's connected to the network? You can find out how to do so for your phone here 

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yep these SIM cards are programed either by BASE or Proximus of Belgium. I won't go into all the reasons except to say they do occasionally throw up problems with some phones which suddenly see themselves as being in Belgium and not the UK.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When you get a chance, bh015c1827 check your PMs for my message, which is the purple envelope.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos