Menu
CHAIRBOYSBOY
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

SIM Swap

I've had a VM mobile 'phone for years.  Just need it to liaise with financial institutions for security purposes and the odd call or two each week.  To my surprise it ceased to work circa 28/9/20 with the message 'Invalid SIM'.  I knew nothing of the intended SIM swap.  I moved house some 4 years ago and neglected to tell VM about it - why would I when VM can contact me easily by 'phone?

So it appears to me that VM have written to my recorded address and not communicated by 'phone at all.  Am I correct?  Is that the experience of others?  

0 Kudos
CHAIRBOYSBOY
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM Swap

No replies.  Disappointing.  Does nobody know the answer to the questions posed?

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi CHAIRBOYSBOY,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community 

I'm very sorry to hear this and I can assure you this isn't the level of service we aim to provide. It's always disappointing to learn of instances like this when you've been left without service. 

As part of the SIM swaps we sent all customers new SIM cards with details of what to do, we thought this would be the quickest way to get a new SIM to you and hoped that your account details and address were up to date. If the SIM cards still weren't used after a certain point we would then write another letter or text you to confirm the address. However if the phone hadn't been used for a while this could also cause issues. 

Have you had a new SIM card sent since your post? 

If not then please pop me a message and I can get one sent right away. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
CHAIRBOYSBOY
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Emma for your reply.  I am dismayed that VM 'hoped that your account details and address were up to date' when all you needed to do was to text me (and all users) notifying the SIM swap and requesting that address details held by VM be made up to date.  VM cannot now text me of course because the 'phone shows 'Invalid SIM' and is incapable of sending or receiving anything.  On the 2 occasions I contacted support I was informed that 'Invalid SIM' indicated that I had not made or received a call for a considerable (but unspecified) period of time.  This was of course nonsense and SIM swap was never mentioned.  I found out about it from general 'surfing'. 

I need a 'phone, not only to receive & make the occasional call, but also to liaise with financial institutions where increasingly security is enhanced by the passing of one-time codes.  I have been obliged to purchase a new 'phone to allow these things to continue uninterrupted. 

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your feedback on this CHAIRBOYSBOY. We will ensure this is passed onto the relevant team. 

Have you been able to speak with the team concerning the SIM card? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
CHAIRBOYSBOY
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Martin.  As I said in an earlier post I contacted support twice (the name Care Plus is in my head - is that a VM support team?)  and was informed that 'Invalid SIM' indicated that I had not made or received a call for a considerable period of time - there was no indication from support people that a SIM swap failure was to blame.  

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It would simply be our technical team. I'm unsure about a Care Plus. 

Since speaking with the team have you been able to get this resolved?

^Martin

0 Kudos
CHAIRBOYSBOY
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Martin

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'resolved'.  I have needed to 'resolve' the problem by purchasing a new 'phone.  The VM 'phone problem could have been resolved by VM if they had recognised it as a 'SIM swap' issue and sent me a new SIM.  Alas they did not.  VM failed to notify me of the impending SIM swap (which they could easily have done by sending a text message) and failed to recognise that 'Invalid SIM' appearing on my 'phone might point to the fact that I had not received/inserted a new SIM.  If those failures are grounds for compensation I'd like to pursue it.  

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My query was to see if you were able to find the reason as to why the message was being displayed. As you have this would be consider resolved as you can now use the service. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
CHAIRBOYSBOY
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM may consider it to be 'resolved' but can I use the service?  No - because VM have never sent me a new SIM - as explained several times already.  The 'phone is therefore unusable and I have needed to purchase another - again as explained several times already. 

0 Kudos