Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

SIM SWAP DOESN'T WORK

New SIM wouldn't work. Virgin shop assistant advised not to worry as phone is old and that nothing needed to be done.

Now have no mobile service while still paying for it.

What happens now?

As ever, unable to get help from Virgin!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM SWAP DOESN'T WORK

Don't know what phone you have but there could be a couple of reasons 

1. The phone is network locked. Older phones were locked to EE although on Virgin as the old SIM cards were EE based, the new ones aren't.

2. There is an incompatibility with the new SIM and the phones firmware. Rare but there have been cases.

1 Is the most likely but there could be other reasons 

What make and model and how old

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It's a Sony EricssonWalkman 810i

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wow...that is an oldie, obviously held up well.

It it was bought from Virgin it will almost certainly be network locked and will require an unlocking code.

The bad news is the type of operating system the phone is using does not always play nice with these new SIM cards.

Are you on PAYG? If so it may be easier going with another network that still use EE based cards if you want to keep the phone. ASDA and Plusnet come to mind 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Lol, it's my old phone which my partner uses. And it's a contract he has. Think he'll have to look at his options now. I left Virgin for EE ages ago and have had no problems. Maybe he'll do the same.

Many thanks for your advice and help. Stay safe! 👍

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem. I have a Samsung A50.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

HI Sophie0153, what issues are you having with the sim swap? ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

My new sim is not connected to a network. I cannot call or receive calls or texts and inevitably the data also doesn't work. I have phoned up virgin 3 times and and they didn't really know how to help. My previous virgin sim worked great so I don't understand why it would be a problem with the phone. It just says 'sim 1 is not provisioned'. I have now been two weeks without being connected to a network. On the third call, the lady sounded very frustrated but eventually said she would send out another sim so I think that it is on it's way. Hopefully that will work. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information.

If the replacement SIM still has some trouble could we please confirm if your previous SIM card was from a few years ago with us? As this may have been one of our EE controlled SIM cards, we now have our own SIM card's so your handset may require an unlock code if this is asking for something like this? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

I think I had an update a year or so ago when my sim was updated to 4G. My phone has not asked to unlock anything it still just says, 'SIM not provisioned' and if I try to call it says, 'not registered on Network'. 

Vigin is still charging me for my direct debit tarrif even though my phone had not been connected to the network for over two weeks. Do you know how I can get refunded for that?

Thank you,

Sophie 

0 Kudos