Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

SIM NOT VALID

I help an elderly gentleman who has health problems. Two days ago I put your new SIM in his Nokia 1101 and got “SIM NOT VALID”, same as many other people. I called 789 and your agent told me that the SIM needed activating, which he would do. He would ring me back (on an alternative number) at 6pm to check it was working. Still not working, and now the old SIM has been cancelled, and no callback from Virgin. Yesterday I called again via a different phone and spoke to agent Maggie, who seemed to understand the problem. She promised to call me back today at 11.00. It’s now 3 p.m. and no callback and a dead phone. I called Virgin again but their menu system denied me access to a human. What is my elderly friend going to do? He’s unable to access his contacts, as they are on the phone, and unless there is a valid SIM in it, it won’t show them. He and I are getting desperate, as he is out of mobile contact with family and carers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM NOT VALID

After hours of waiting on the phone, I finally got through to their technical department and they promised to send a new phone out that will work with the new SIM. However, the only way to transfer the contacts from the old phone is to put into it a different SIM that works with both the old phone and the new phone, copy the contacts across to the SIM, then put the SIM in the new phone and copy the contacts across to the phone. Finally put Virgin's new SIM in the new phone! Now to try and find a spare SIM somewhere to do this. We look forward to the new phone arriving on Friday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi BobsB, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry that you had problems with the new sim in the handset. 

I'm glad we've now got a handset going out to you. Please let us know how you get on with it.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Melissa my mother has the same issue with her Nokia 1112. How can I arrange for a new handset to be sent to her without her spending hours on the phone to the call centre?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi ezzjcw,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry your mother is also having similar issues with the new sim. 

I'd like to help so I'll need to take some details from you. I'll pop you a private message now.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. I'll let you know how we get on with the new phone. What really upset me about the interaction with Virgin was that twice I was told I would be called back at certain times, so I stayed in waiting for the calls, but the callbacks never happened. I know your team is extremely busy, but just a txt saying they couldn't make the time would have been better than hearing nothing!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I completely understand that. The call backs should be done at the time they were offered, and I can only apologise that this wasn't the case. 

I'll wait to hear how the new handset is, thank you.

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM NOT VALID in Nokia 1101

Hi Melissa

I was wondering if you could help me please (am totally new to this forum so not sure how it all works so hope you get this, bear with me! 🙂 )

Am trying to help my Mum who has been sent a new SIM out of the blue like the other postings. It says Sim Not Valid when we put it in her Nokia 1101. I’ve tried ringing 789 for her on my phone but held for ages and no luck getting through. Does this new SIM just need Activating by Virgin before my Mum can use it? She shouldn’t need to buy a new phone as there is nothing wrong with this as her old SIM n mobile worked fine no probs, will Virgin honour a new phone (I noticed they have done this for several other customers) if it is that their phone is too old for this brand new SIM?
Thanks very much for your help

Ruth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM NOT VALID in Nokia 1101

Hi Ruth, 

Thanks for your message and welcome 🙂

I'm sorry your mum's having some issues with the new sim and her current handset. I'd be happy to help you.

From what you've said, it sounds like she may need a replacement handset but I'll need to do a few checks first. 

I'll need to take some of her details so I'll pop you a private message now.

I'll speak to you there 🙂

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I am replying to the message.

i have just joined on behalf of my elderly neighbour. She does not use computers. She received a new SIM card and asked me to help her. It came up Sim invalid. I went onto the community board and saw the exact same problem. I called virgin and after waiting 40 minutes a got a rude woman. I had my neighbour beside me and the woman kept asking her security question and a password which she could not remember. I explained to the woman that my neighbour is elderly and only uses her phone once in a blue moon and could not remember all the security questions. I had my neighbours Oder number and letter and said I saw on the community forum that her phone is an old Nokia and that is why it won’t work and could a new handset be sent with all the details my neighbour and I could provide. The woman was rude and kept telling my neighbour she has to remember her security questions and password which my neighbour became upset about as she could not remember. The woman said if she got a top up and called back tomorrow she could call back. I said does that mean that she would pass the security questions by knowing when her last top up was but she said no. I asked the woman if she could pass me onto someone else who could help my neighbour and she said no. I asked the woman not to hang up on me as I wanted to get this matter resolved and what did she do, she hung up on me. I cannot believe that a company would be so insensitive to their elderly customers. My neighbour is now upset that her old sim is not going to work and new one does not work. Please help her to resolve the situation.

0 Kudos