Menu
vindi62
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

SIM Card

Has anybody else been sent a SIM card from Virgin that was NOT ordered?  I just received an Virgin email telling me that my SIM card was on its way, a SIM Card I NEVER ordered.  My old mobile, which I have had for years is  on pay-as-you-go.  I replied to the email they sent, asking them why they are sending it as I did not order it, but so far no reply. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SIM Card

It's part of an ongoing SIM upgrade. 

You need to use the new SIM to maintain service

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

vindi62
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So, I don't pay for this SIM card...it's FREE?  This may sound stupid, and it probably does as I know NOTHING about mobile phones.  I'm 74 years of age, and know nothing about technology.  I bought this a few years ago from a Virgin shop, and the guy in the shop did everything for me, I have NEVER opened the phone, and I only use the phone to call a taxi when I do my weeking shopping, that is all I use it for.  Apart from that it stays in the drawer.  So, I just take the SIM Card from the phone and replace it with the one they are sending me?  Another stupid question: Do I still keep the same number?   All the best, Vindi62 

freddie11
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I used to have a couple of old PAYG phones but got rid of them when the tariff changed. I have today received emails 'Sit tight! Your order's winging its way to you as we speak.' referencing the old numbers. I have not ordered or need these, but am unable to contact anyone to speak about it. Do I just ignore them, throw them away, or am I expected to return them? 

ahrbee
Superfast
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think there are many of us of us of a certain age that have been confused and confounded by Virgin's 'upgrade'. My wife received a text message last week saying she would be sent a new SIM. We thought it was a scam until I checked out this forum. The e-mail is a standard one, as if you have ordered the SIM. We do need to change the SIM or lose the service, as has been stated above. I realise this is a tough ask but my wife, who is also of a certain age, managed it successfully, albeit taking her time.

I have a very old Nokia which, as far as I can gather from this forum, may or may not work with a new SIM. I personally have not been contacted directly about the SIM change by Virgin so I do not know whether I will need a new phone or not. Ideally, I would be able to get help from Virgin here but, so far, my requests have been ignored by the Virgin team. I am concerned that if and when my new SIM arrives, my phone will not work and it may affect my access to my bank account online which now sends One Time Passwords via text to allow me access to my account. Ideally, if I need a new phone, I would like to get it before that happens but access to help seems non-existent or subject to long waits on the helpline. 

vindi62
Dialled in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank for your input freddie11.  I just received my SIM Card this morning, so I'll wait and see if I have to install this sim card.  First I have to look at all the short videos on the Virgin website on how to change over, or if it is really essencial to dod so, as I DID NOT order this card.  This technology blows my mind 🙂

0 Kudos
vindi62
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank for your input Ahrbee.  I just received the upgrade SIM Card this morning, so I'll wait and see if I have to install it.  I noticed there are a lot of short videoon the website to show how it's done, which I will need as I'm a 74 year old complete novice on technology.  I've had my old TTfone Venus 2 phone for years, and the Virgin shop where I bought it, set everything up for me at the time.  I only use it when out shopping to call a taxi, that's all I use it for, as all the RED phone boxes seem to have become extinct.  Once again, Thanks for your input.  All the best Vindi62

0 Kudos
freddie11
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Okay, so just received the two SIM cards, after yesterday receiving an email explaining what was going on.  I can now understand that I can only opt in to this new stuff if I insert and activate them. As I now no longer have the old mobiles, I can just ignore them, or use the scissors and put them in for recycling.
Like others, I find life getting more confusing, and would  prefer to have received the explanatory email first.

Thanks for comments by others.

vindi62
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the input on this NEW Virgin Free Sim card.  As my old TTfone Venus 2 mobile is not connected to the internet, I don’t even use text, I will just cut the card up.  I only bought this simple mobile because all the old red boxes have become obsolete, and it will come in handy should I ever need it. All the best Vindi62

0 Kudos
Silverplaited
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Dear enlli

My mobile has stopped accepting calls and texts. I received a text on 4 June to say that to roll out network improvements Virgin were sending me a new sim. It has never arrived and now my phone does not work. I get a message saying I am not registered on the network. 

I have looked at your reply below and others which say you do not need to use the Sim but haven't received it and my phone has stopped working/  I ,messaged Virgin at 10.59 and it is now 11.27 and no answer yet.  Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Silverplaited