cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Martinique

opardo
Just joined

Hi. I have Virgin mobile and am travelling in Martinique which is a french island and therefore part of the EU. However, since I arrived, I am recieving daily SMS from Virgin saying "Welcome to USA" and detailing roaming charges. Considering that this carribean island is part of France, there should be no roaming charges. So how do I get about changing this setting?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

paulchambers061
Problem sorter

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Roaming/td-p/4979253#M212206

This has popped up before recently. Not a fix just for reference.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi opardo,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thank you for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear you've been receiving welcome texts as if you are in the USA whilst roaming in Martinique, this is certainly strange.

I've reached out to another team and currently looking into this further for you. Once I do have any answers, I will let you know.

Kind regards

Beth

I have the same problem having just landed in Martinique. Not sure what to do. 

It says welcome to USA and gives me USA roaming charges. 

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DerekMac01, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry for any inconvenience your roaming issue may be causing.  It sounds as though you're connecting to the strongest signal.  This could be a signal provided from the nearest island.  I would recommend that you do a manual network search.  Would you be able to attempt this and let us know how things go?

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks Lee, 

automatically it selected Digicel

Manually, I have several options including Digicel-F, which I have currently selected. Is that the French version?? Also F-orange, SFR, 340 04, and FLOW. Which does Virgin partner with? Thanks Derek 

Hi @DerekMac01,

I would recommend trying each of them to see if you notice any improvement to your service at all. Let us know how you get on either way and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks Zach

have tried that. Have been through all listed networks manually. I either get welcome to USA or no service.

Have checked Virgin roaming page and Martinique is definitely there as roam like you are at home, but no joy here….

not sure what to do. Have turned data off and trying not to make or receive calls to avoid prohibitive costs, £2 per minute or £5 per MB!

any further thoughts?

Derek

Hi Derek

Thanks for coming back to us.

I will PM you now to assist further

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill