Menu
Leschaplin
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Roaming charges from Corfu

Having an absolute nightmare with virgin
We have just come back from a weeks holiday on the island of Corfu at the Roda Beach Resort. During our week away we never left the small town of Roda, went on no excursions and the furthest we went was along the beach from the hotel to Roda town, a 10 minute walk.

On the Sunday, our last full day, we walked into the hotel dining room as we had done every single day at around 9:15 am, and I got a text saying welcome to Albania, you have used up £41 worth of my £52 allowance! How the hell could our hotel dining room suddenly have travelled across the sea to another country for one morning is completely beyond me, and how the hell I could have used up £41 worth of data in the space of 30 seconds is again beyond me. I switched roaming off, had breakfast and an hour later I went back to our room, where I promptly got another text saying welcome to Greece!  Now clearly, it is impossible for me to have travelled from a sleepy town with no means of crossing the sea, to another country, and then back in the space of an hour. Whilst in the dining room that morning I took two photos of the dining room and the view from it to prove where I was, both pics taken a minute apart, one pic says I was in Albania the other says I was in Roda, Corfu, now unless I am Dr Who and able to time travel, this is clearly impossible! I rang virgin straight away and was put through to a lady whose English was appalling and simply could not grasp what I was trying to explain. All she kept saying was nothing she could do because I hadn’t been billed. I demanded she arranged for a manager to ring me when back in the uk the following day Monday 2nd September at 6pm so that I could get this resolved. Of course, I never got the call.  It is now Sunday 9th September and I am no further forward. I have raised a resolution, I have argued via their text service but to no avail. I have cancelled my direct debit in the hope that will get somebody to ring me so that I can discuss this properly, still nothing!

they have now had the audacity to restrict my service because I cancelled my direct debit in the hope of someone actually ringing me! I rang today and spoke to a manager who basically offered to pay me half of my charges incurred and was refused to speak to a senior manager and told basically that I now have to go to an external complaints review board! Totally at the end of my tether and utterly disgusted that virgin are trying to extort money out of me for visiting a country I can prove I have been nowhere near to! We pay out over £200 a month to virgin and they are not in the slightest bit interested in resolving this for me! Totally st the end of my tether 

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming charges from Corfu

Hopefully a vm moderator will be along soon to assist, and with luck get these charges waived. 

I know exactly what's happened. Corfu is very near to Albania, and I reckon the sneaky Albanians have got a very powerful mast to catch people out in this way. These masts don't care what country you are in, so the thing to do when near non EU countries is to manually connect to a network (cosmote in your case). It's the same advice for kos and Rhodes (near turkey).

Here's the roaming charges for Albania, steep, so you can rack up a huge bill in seconds with background data. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-world-zone-3

Really not vm's fault, all they are doing is passing on the bill from Albania that they had from your usage. 

Again, fingers crossed that a moderator can help you out. 

p.s. never cancel a DD from virgin, they will cut you off, and it could affect your credit rating too.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/data-roaming-abroad.html

Going somewhere in a Roam Like Home country near the EU border? Sometimes your mobile phone can connect to a network from outside the EU instead, which means you’ll be charged extra for roaming. To avoid these extra charges, we recommend turning your roaming off while you’re there. Please also check any welcome SMS messages you get when you arrive in these areas and the relevant roaming prices stated.

Leschaplin
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes that’s exactly what has happened, however I was in the dining room of our hotel restaurant at the time and took photos of where I was in case of any comeback! I get that it may not be virgins fault, but I don’t accept it’s mine either when I’ve not moved away from the hotel all week.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

you use a network from another country that is what you were charged for.
Radio waves don't stop at a border. it can happen and nothing any provider can do to stop it.

This is a massive problem near borders or when on boats.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, boats are a particular nightmare. Remember the case of a woman working on a yacht in what she thought was Greek waters. Picking up Turkish masts and getting a bill for thousands. Before the £50 ish cap that is there now.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/10/holidaymaker-sailing-greek-islands-charged-8000-after...

0 Kudos
Leschaplin
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

From our hotel dining room? Why didn’t it do that on the first day of the holiday if that’s the case?
0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Mast maintenance, or atmospheric conditions would be my guess. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Leschaplin, 

Thank you for your post. 

I'm sorry to hear of the experience that you've had here. Looking at the responses to your post, apcyberax is absolutely correct the signal will jump to the closest available network, in this case being an Albanian connection. 

I wouldn't advise anyone to cancel your direct debit, this can cause issues for yourself which nobody wants. 

I can look into this for you, would that be okay? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Leschaplin
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes I would be happy for you to look into it for me. I get about the signals, what I don’t get is how it suddenly picked it up from my hotel dining room, the same dining room we had eaten the previous 5 mornings and evenings with absolutely no issue! The text when I landed said I could use my mobile phone as if in the uk, we were nowhere near any other country, as you know Corfu is an island and the nearest country was across the water, many miles away although we could see the mountains in the distance.

0 Kudos