Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Rip off data charges

My £6.00 per month sim contract with its perfectly adequate 2GB of data has just hit me with a bill of nearly £140.00.  How?  I was quietly thrown out of my home wi fi link about 2 months ago, without knowing it.  That triggered £3 a day in ongoing charges, without a peep from VM about it for over a month, when I got a text saying I was out of data.  Funny, I thought.  That's never happened before.  Ever. With any mobile provider.  So I went straight into my phone settings and reconnected.  Ah well, I thought.  I might get hit with a small penalty.  Not so.  £78.14 for September and almost as much for August.  Okay, I trusted VM to get on with it and only scanned the August bill summary - seeing the £6 and not the rest of it - so I missed that.  Careless, I know.  The main point is VM didn't tell me in August I was out of data when I could have reconnected immediately and saved running up the charges from home.  (Actually, being kicked out of VM's wi fi link was their fault, but there was nothing else wrong with my router so I didn't suspect anything).  Also wouldn't you think some algorhythm would highlight unprecedented home data use nobody their right mind would do at these charges?  Apparently not).   Almost the worst thing about all this - other than my waste of a half day so far to get anywhere - is the inability to contact anyone.  Phone calls only get menus and that unctuous female voice recorded when its owner was obviously amused by something.  I did speak to somebody somewhere where English is a poor third language (sorry about that, but it really doesn't help) eventually who put me on to somebody else who wanted the same 10 minutes of details from me before not helping.  I am currently in text contact with a VM person who ignores all requests to speak on the phone.  Two hours so far, trying to verify my existence.  A secure form comes via text and doesn't open.  So I tell him and he sends it again.  And it doesn't open . . .   I could go on, but I'm sure nobody is reading any more.  Still, I feel I need to go on.  I have sent an homily via the internal, secure complaints bit of the website - there is and will never be any record of this I can access, but I have copied it and will be sending real emails (that can't be scrubbed out) to those recommended by Sophie Snell in her Daily Telegraph feature. Have a look for it.  It's very useful.  Right, I'm done for now.  Thanks for reading if you did.  All I wanted to do was express my surprise to somebody about the above charges and politely ask for a refund, but I couldn't.  *sighs*   I can only waste more time escalating, before cancelling all my VM contracts.                            

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Rip off data charges

Bit late now but you may be interested to know you can set a spending cap on Virgin Mobile to stop this happening.

https://www.virgin.com/news/virgin-mobile-introduces-spending-caps-pay-monthly-customers

Some set it to £0 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlli.  Thanks, but I capped it today.  it will prevent a recurrence for the short time I remain a customer.  It was naive of me to not think this kind of VM error could result in a whopping bill, but after 5 wasted on-off hours with David via text on [REMOVED] he told me in effect that it was my fault.  He wouldn't re-send me the warning emails VM allegedly sent me in July and August, but offered me £15 adjustment (upped to £20 after he spoke with his supervisor).  I refused, the offer was withdrawn and my case closed.  As for the problems with the router and the way VM took my money for something nobody with a wi fi connection would ever knowingly do?   Not a peep.  He could have done what he did (effectively nothing!) in 5 minutes if he'd called me instead of back-and-forth texts, but they won't, will they?   More to follow, I expect.          

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Paulzdeman said: "Thanks, but I capped it today.  it will prevent a recurrence for the short time I remain a customer."

Be aware that once you set the Spending Cap, it does not become effective untill your next refresh date.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'm aware of that thanks, but will check my wi fi connection daily to prevent a recurrence of this VM scam.   I won't be a customer for long enough to run up another big bill anyway.  No word from VM as yet, but I'm not holding my breath.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Goodness, it didn't take long for the VM police droids to remove the phone number I posted.  Clearly somebody real or virtual is overseeing this forum to close off potential contact channels.  One other suggestion made by the helpful Dave via text was to increase my tariff!   I replied this was an insulting suggestion and he seemed put out as he withdrew the £20 refund originally offered (as a partial admission of responsibility?) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hilarious!  Check this out: 

"Just a quick note to say here's a new badge for all that you do in the Virgin Media Community

We've given you the Hello again badge."

Whooooo! I have a badge!

Also I got another of VM's needy "how was it for you" messages (I get at least one a week) and sent my reply into the customer service black hole.   I could use all this in a stand-up act. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Me again!

I may be getting near to the cause of my VM data charge problem.  I just tested my internet speed on this laptop (the only device currently online) and found my download speed to be 0.13Mbps.  A little down from the "up to 200Mbps" promised for the most expensive package available.  I test every now and then and find it is usually up to around 68Mbps.  Never more, but not usually much less (unless I count the Amazon Prime stream rate of 5 to 15Mbps).  I ran the test because my machine was running so slowly as to be unusable and voila!  Could this be why my phone was quietly thrown out of wi fi - possibly many times over the last 2 months or so?  The router light glows stubbornly white and stable, indicating all is well in Branson World.  I'll report the router as a separate but related issue, but will keep breathing.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

My speed is now up to a whopping 28Mbps, over 10% of the expected.   The tester (https://www.broadband.co.uk) seems bona fide and suggested that in my area I should consider Virgin Media's service at up to 200Mbps.  Are they all in this together or simply unaware of the concept of irony?   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The best thing I ever did was to put the Virgin router into Modem mode and then use my own Multi Band router.

Speeds are well up and no drop outs

I have the original Superhub which is not up to task and which Virgin flatly refuse to replace unless I pay.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos