Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ring Doorbell notification delays

I am experiencing delays of notifications from my Ring Doorbell Pro on my IPhone 8 when on mobile data. My wifes IPhone 7 on Vodafone receives notifications much quicker, in seconds, whereas mine on Virgin takes several minutes. So, the issue  must be with Virgin as phone settings on both are similar.  Any ideas or do I need to leave and move to another network?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ring Doorbell notification delays

Sounds like the same push notification problem that is associated with the many post regarding whatsapp etc.

Yes it is the network.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is there any solution to this otherwise the network is second rate and will have to look elsewhere.

Virgin any comments please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You've got the nail on the head, vm are 2nd rate as they are cheaper than the big 4 networks, so the service for some things is less good. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many of the problems seem to have arisen since Virgin wanted to be like the big kids and run their own core network.

The big 4 have had a lot of experience in this but it seems beyond the scope of Virgin's technicians for some reason. Problems like this are taking months to sort out.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Same here but with Ring 2 doorbell and 1st Generation Ring. Any help will be much appreciated. 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Eken door bell works very well as a security camera when mobile. However the push notifications get worse in their delay the further from home you go. On WiFi the phone rings almost instantly. My phone is a dual SIM and when I switch to my 3 SIM there is no delay. I am pretty happy with the Virgin cost and coverage and data speed except for this issue which also affects WhatsApp so I have to text. I can't set my data to 3 as I only have a PAYG with them but I may have to switch as I am getting fed up of going to the sorting office for my parcels. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have three solutions for anyone to try as I had similar issues especially with push notifications from my ring door bell whe on mobile data.

1] A silly thing but my APN settings were all correct except the naming which I had as Virgin Media. Change this to Virgin Mobile and save the setting. I don't know if this was the answer as I did number 2 below at the same time. However my notifications are now instant whether VPN is on or not. 

2] Use a VPN (no need to pay) try Hotspot Shield free, to start with. You Get 15 GB throughput a month for free so might be enough for some. Just keep closing the offer to try the premium version at first, to try the free version VPN. If it works for you, as it did for me, I'm thinking of going premium.

3] If you have a dual sim phone like i have and have both sims activated change the preferred network for SMS to the other sim in my case a 3 payg. The only problem with this is my credit on my payg is down every time someone rings my bell. Therefore use this if the above doesn't work for you.

0 Kudos