Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Restricted code

Good morning,

I have just passed my 80th birthday but still have all my faculties! Some years ago I gave my wife a second mobile phone to use in an emergency. I check it every two months or so. It is a Nokia 2222 on the Virgin network. We forgot to charge our normal iPhone and so decided to use the Nokia. To our dismay we found that it displayed a message saying ‘SIM card registration failed’. Having tried a number of suggested solutions without success in a call to Virgin Help I was told that a new card was required and one would be sent to me. This arrived after a couple of days. 
The instructions that came with the card told me to keep the old card in the phone and text READY to 789678 but of course this was impossible as the phone was locked. 
I put the new card in the phone and it now displays ‘Phone Restricted’ and then ‘Enter restricted code’. The instructions with the new card say ‘If you asked for a PIN enter 7890’ but this just produces a ‘Code error’ screen. Trying to get a code on the internet proves impossible if you can not talk to the network provider which of course is Virgin.

I am now stuck! Attempts to communicate with Virgin have failed over and over again both by e-mail and phone. I understand the current difficulties with COVED 19 but this is just poor service!! And having read a number of other entries describing similar problems I see I am not alone. 
If any forum member has been prepared to read this tirade and can suggest a solution I would be very grateful. John

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Restricted code

Just a thought. I assume the phone is PAYG. You say you checked it every couple of months, but when did you last send a chargeable text or make a chargeable call? The SIM could have been disabled for none use rather than for the ongoing SIM swap.

If it is the former then it is bad news.

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

3.5 No refund: If you don’t use all of the credit in any Top Up that you purchase, or such Top Up expires (if applicable) then we will not give you a refund for it. If this Agreement is cancelled (unless you cancel in accordance with Clause 5.4) then you will also lose any credit you have on your account and we will not refund it to you.

If this is not the case then you will need an unlock code for that particular phone. As it will not work with the new cards without.

@Grierson wrote:

Good morning,

I have just passed my 80th birthday but still have all my faculties! Some years ago I gave my wife a second mobile phone to use in an emergency. I check it every two months or so. It is a Nokia 2222 on the Virgin network. We forgot to charge our normal iPhone and so decided to use the Nokia. To our dismay we found that it displayed a message saying ‘SIM card registration failed’. Having tried a number of suggested solutions without success in a call to Virgin Help I was told that a new card was required and one would be sent to me. This arrived after a couple of days. 
The instructions that came with the card told me to keep the old card in the phone and text READY to 789678 but of course this was impossible as the phone was locked. 
I put the new card in the phone and it now displays ‘Phone Restricted’ and then ‘Enter restricted code’. The instructions with the new card say ‘If you asked for a PIN enter 7890’ but this just produces a ‘Code error’ screen. Trying to get a code on the internet proves impossible if you can not talk to the network provider which of course is Virgin.

I am now stuck! Attempts to communicate with Virgin have failed over and over again both by e-mail and phone. I understand the current difficulties with COVED 19 but this is just poor service!! And having read a number of other entries describing similar problems I see I am not alone. 
If any forum member has been prepared to read this tirade and can suggest a solution I would be very grateful. John

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli,

I am aware of the issue of not using the phone. I have been previously told that a chargeable call should be made within every three months. If we don’t use the phone in earnest I call my answering machine on the landline within that time.

The problem with the code is getting it from Virgin!

John

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Agreed.... and the correct unlock instructions which you may have to Google.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well I’ve tried again to Google getting the code but I’m just going round in circles! Having been asked by the Virgin system for the IMEI number and submitted it many times it still tells me it is the wrong number but it is one provided by the phone after entering *#06#. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Grierson 

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. Really sorry for the delay in response, we have been very busy and doing all we can to get to each customer ASAP. 

Have you since been able to contact the team for an unlocking code? Have you received a new SIM and popped that in the phone? 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos