Menu
Jett0rz
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Requesting a PAC, but old phone is locked for new SIM

Good afternoon all,

Whilst I'm a VM customer myself for Broadband, this query is in regards to my grandmother's SIM and inability to request a PAC.

She has bought a new phone and is moving to Tesco Mobile, however it's becoming a real issue getting her number swapped over.

Her phone is rather archaic. It's an - at least - 10-11 year old Nokia 1661-2. As such, the new SIMs that were recently sent out do not work, as her phone is locked. I've tried following a few guides to get the handset unlocked, to little joy, to allow us to request the PAC. As this currently fails when using the old SIM. 'SIM not recognised' or not supported, along those lines. 

I've tried yesterday and today to get through to Virgin Media on Twitter, Webchat (useless, kept disconnecting), and I'm currently 33-minutes deep on hold to the call centre team.

Could someone possibly advise the best way to get hold of someone to request the PAC so she can move her number to Tesco ASAP? Or at least assist in unlocking this dinosaur of a phone so that we can pop the new SIM in to attempt requesting the PAC on the new sim?

Many thanks for your time,

Adam

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Jett0rz
Joining in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Requesting a PAC, but old phone is locked for new SIM

So after nearly an hour on hold, I managed to speak to a rather rude member of the callcentre team - I won't hold it against them, they're probably getting slammed at the minute.

It appears that her SIM card may not have ever been registered in her name (well, any name) - and as such, she won't be able to get a PAC? Surely just texting the number should just automatically register the request and issue the PAC regardless? It seems now, we have to jump through hoops, to get this 10-odd year account registered in her name, to unlock a dinosaur of a phone, or request a PAC, just to move to Tesco. Insane.

Any advice would be appreciated! 😊 

0 Kudos