forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
fenlander
Up to speed
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Replacement SIM 'not valid'

I have a very ancient dumb phone - a Nokia 1100. It has served me well on a Virgin PAYG SIM for some 15 years and still puts modern smartphones to shame in terms of its sound clarity. The new SIM arrived today, and the phone doesn't want to know - just gives a 'SIM NOT VALID' message, no matter how long it is left.

The VM simhelp website doesn't know about this model either (understandable, it's old, but at the same time it did sell 1.2 BILLION units in its day, so there must be quite a few still about). I love it because over the last 15 years it's cost me a grand total of about £60 to own and run. I don't make many calls... 

Is there any way to get the old phone to work with the new SIM, or do I have to join the 21st century and buy some over-specc'd device at many times the cost? Or could I buy a cheap update on my Nokia, such as a model 105, and just put the replacement SIM in it?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacement SIM 'not valid'

Basically it needs an unlock code. There may be a so called unblocking code printed on your letter or on the red card bottom left. It is about 15 digits for that phone. If there is I can give you the unlock sequence instructions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jansykes
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

All old Nokia are having this problem, don't waste your time on it, 

I've had to buy a new phone. It works in that no problem.

So letter if complaint gone to complaints, Virgin, Sunderland. 

I've gone for the Energiser E12 as its almost the same phone as the old nokia,

BUT not from Virgin

I'm disgusted with their customer service. 

Hope you all find this post helpful. 😁

Jansykes
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Old phones are not compatable with this new sim card. 

It has to have a more modern phone and doesn't have to be all singing, dancing smart phone. ENERGISER E12 is the same phone but upto date. 

0 Kudos
fenlander
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. That's pretty much what I suspected and I can hardly complain about the value I've had from the Nokia. Replacement ordered as suggested.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Pity, that Nokia model works fine with the new SIM it the symbian firmware ones that don't 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Jansykes
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Great, youl find your new phone will work well with new sim. 

Total agree. Little Nokia owes us nothing 😁

0 Kudos
DickBaxter
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Replacement SIM for working Nokia 5230 now says SIM Not valid. Issued card has 8 digit unblocking key. What do I do with it and will it get the mobile working again?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@DickBaxter wrote:

Replacement SIM for working Nokia 5230 now says SIM Not valid. Issued card has 8 digit unblocking key. What do I do with it and will it get the mobile working again?

I would expect the code to be longer (typically 15 digits, but its not a model with which I am familiar

Try 

Remove SIM card
Type in #pw+CODE+7#.
If +7# does not work use +1#

1. To show p in the phones display - just press * three times within two seconds.

2. To show w in the phones display - just press * four times within two seconds.

3. To show + in the phones display - just press * twice within two seconds.

fenlander
Up to speed
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just received 2 Energizer E12s from Connected247 via Amazon. Tried to set one up. The new SIM was accepted, but thereafter the unit just demonstrated how good the old Nokia was. This is supposedly a phone with a scheduler, an alarm, internet connectivity, FM radio and a camera. In fact, it doesn't even have a function to set the date and time, let alone choose a ringtone or set volume or vibrate modes. The online manual, such as it is, doesn't even mention a way to set the date/time. Calling the supplier just produces an automated message telling you to send an email.

I fear my £30 is a goner. Please avoid these phones.

0 Kudos