Menu
thingumybob
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Refund for a repair

I live near Northampton. The local Virgin office has been closed since the pandemic hit. During the early stage my phone stopped working. I needed it for work. However there was no indication at the closed office as to what to do. So I had it repaired by a local and reputable phone repair expert. I have the invoice and also the faulty part (the motherboard). How do I recover the cost of the repair from Virgin given that where I am located, Northampton, the office is closed an alternative was available?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Refund for a repair

Hi thingumybob,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

If you ever have any issue with your Mobile handset we do advise to either check out our online site as we have a dedicate part to help with phone issues: virg.in/phonefix

Or you can contact our mobile centre, either by calling on 789/0345 600 0789 or text message on +44753 301 6422

We will be unable to to cover the cost for having your handset repaired via a 3rd party. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
thingumybob
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So (1) when my phone died, a phone I need daily for work, the Virgin Office was shut so wasn't there to help (2) I tried the typical re-boot procedures but none worked. As the motherboard was not functioning NONE of the 'solutions' on the Phonefix page (your link) were relevant or ever going to work! (3) With no local office I was expected to send my  work-critical phone away for an unspecified time for a possible repair? (4) As Virgin wasn't able to meet its contractual requirements regarding a phone it supplied and as I NEEDED a working phone I took the initiative and got it fixed by a local business (5) Virgin can be expecting a follow-up citing consumer obligations and law when it comes to providing a product, and we'll take it up later (6) If there's no solution I guess my feet can do the walking 

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can assure you that we have throughout the current pandemic we have had agents available to assist customers. Did you try both the calling and text message service?

As part of our mobile agreements if a handset does have a fault that requires work to be done you will need to send the handset to our repair centres so it can be looked over. You can find information in our terms and conditions: https://virg.in/legals

^Martin

0 Kudos
thingumybob
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm, as you'll appreciate, as the office was shut I could not obtain on-the-spot advice or support from a human. And as my phone was broken I couldn't use it to send or receive or read texts, emails, or calls. Or scan through the many sets of terms and conditions in the hope of finding any guidance. And so I was left with a choice of giving up a work-critical phone to the postal service and waiting for ... well who knows how long. Or getting it repaired locally, in 60 minutes, by a qualified repair centre. For reasons that are immediately obvious I went for the latter option . I do realise that these are exceptional times but I did feel, shall we say, abandonned. As I have just located the Customer Complaints procedure document I'll see where that gets me. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have to say being familiar with the industry something you may not have realised is that, unless the people who did the repair are authorised by the manufacturer, you may well have voided any warranty you had left.

I don't know what make of phone it was but most of the leading manufacturers list their repairers where the phone would have been fixed for you FOC under warranty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
thingumybob
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, when you need you phone fixed you need it fixed. It was fixed 😉 The contract was for 3 years and that may already be over. The bottom line is that in these days of dependence on mobile technology a delay of several weeks or even days to get a device repaired and returned just isn't an option. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The contract was for 3 years so what was the length of warranty on the phone? Samsung is 2 years Apple I think argue the toss at 12 months.

I believe 2 years is considered reasonable by some of the judgements I have seen but it has to be repaired by an authorised channel.

If you are dependant on mobile technology then you need some sort of phone backup and that probably stretches to a SIM on an alternate network too.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"To be honest, when you need you phone fixed you need it fixed."
I agree. But you took action that voids the agreement in the contract. You have to make that judgement. A complaint will not get you anywhere as you didn't follow VM steps. in fact you most likely voided any chance of VM repairing it next time.

Your out of luck on this one
0 Kudos