Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Recycled Number

Hey!

Wondering how long a mobile phone number has to be inactive for, for Virgin to recycle it and give it to a new customer?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recycled Number

it can depend how many numbers are needed. i don't think there is any set times

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Needed something a little more specific unfortunately 😞 other companies have clear answers online, unfortunately virgin don't state it anywhere obvious.

The length of time before a mobile provider deems a phone inactive varies: for some providers it can be as little as 70 days, while others wait six months or longer. - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/pay-as-you-go-mobi... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@LucyR wrote:

The length of time before a mobile provider deems a phone inactive varies: for some providers it can be as little as 70 days, while others wait six months 

That's the length of time before it is deemed inactive, not recycled, and with Virgin PAYG it is 90 days.

From here it gets more complicated. All mobile numbers were originally allocated in batches to different networks. Obviously people use PAC codes so you could, for example,  have moved the number from Vodafone to Virgin. Once inactive it is reallocated back to the original network for them to reissue. It won't go out again on Virgin. (The reason it can't be reinstated)

Networks try to keep such numbers quarantined for 6 months but demand may mean a shorter time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@LucyR wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Needed something a little more specific unfortunately 😞 other companies have clear answers online, unfortunately virgin don't state it anywhere obvious.

The length of time before a mobile provider deems a phone inactive varies: for some providers it can be as little as 70 days, while others wait six months or longer. - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/pay-as-you-go-mobi... 

The OFCOM notice is in regard to dormancy, not the quarrantine time of the number before it is re-allocated. The amount of time Virgin allows for dormancy is 90 days before the SIM is disconnected. Beyond that will be a quarrantine period. Then it will go into a pool of numbers to be re-issued.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993