Menu
Rancey66
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Received a call offering overpayment refund

I just had a call saying that I have been charged £21 extra on my mobile bill and Virgin wanted to credit my account. She didn’t want any details at first. Confirmed some of my details (email address, mobile number etc) then asked me to get my debit card. I said that I wasn’t giving details of my card over the phone and she said she wasn’t going to take any details. She then asked me for my bank name and confirmed the first 4 digits of my card. Then went on to ask me for the rest of the numbers. I of course said no and she then was upset that she couldn’t refund my overpayment to me, I suggested she donated it to charity. I also said that I would contact Virgin direct to see if this was legitimate and she said no one else could follow this up as it was the accounts dept. She couldn’t give me details of what the overpayment was. She eventually hung up. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Received a call offering overpayment refund

This is a new one on me. If VM wanted to make a refund on a live account they could easily just credit your account which is what I would expect them to do. They don't need details from you. They'd just give you a bill credit of £21.  Check your mobile account in My Virginmedia. Otherwise this sounds like the scammers are getting more sophisticated with their spiel. 

Unfortunately the VM staff here can't check this for you because they don't have account access. Thank goodness you didn't give anything away.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Think I would still inform your bank so that they are made aware of possible fraudulent activity

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gelatinous_Blob
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Had the same experience this morning. Sounds like the same script. Something seemed off so I asked them to confirm my address and Virgin Account No, but they refused. They also said there was a time limit to recieve the refund which is a clear red flag.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Gelatinous_Blob wrote:

Had the same experience this morning. Sounds like the same script. Something seemed off so I asked them to confirm my address and Virgin Account No, but they refused. They also said there was a time limit to recieve the refund which is a clear red flag.

asking for the first 4 digits on your card is subtle - on a debit card they are unique to the issuing bank so whist it sounds like they have some knowledge they have not as you have just told them who your bank is - which they then repeat back to you

Tony