Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Receive and respond to text on laptop

Hi, you friendly, helpful experts.

A simple question. Does anyone know of a way (probably an app?) which would enable me to receive and send text messages without having to use my mobile, i.e. on a laptop? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Receive and respond to text on laptop

i use airdroid its a free app for andorid that sllows this and more

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you and for such a quick response. I will try that later today.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If it is Windows 10 the there is a program called "Your Phone" and you can link Android and iPhones to and that will allow you to use the phone for calls and texts from your computer.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, however, I think you still need to have your phone connected for "Your Phone", i.e. they need to be linked. I need to do texting with either no phone or a different SIM in the phone.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have downloaded the app to my phone, but it will not download to my laptop (Windows 10). I keep getting a message "no eligible devices for app install", which alternates with a message stating it's already installed!!!! Grrr!!!!
If it is installed, it better hidden than an SAS camouflage expert. I certainly can't find it. I've just spent about 2 hours on the web trying to sort this. It seems to be not an uncommon problem, lots of answers but none have found a solution, either for me or the original questioner.
Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you have Google Messages then you can send messages via Windows 10. However you do need the phone as messages have to go via your carrier unless you subscribe to some sort of  bulk text message service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, but still trying a few alternative ideas.
The whole point is to be able to text without a phone. I think the system(s) is in the dark ages that doesn't allow me to do that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@motoguzzibob wrote:
Thank you, but still trying a few alternative ideas.
The whole point is to be able to text without a phone. I think the system(s) is in the dark ages that doesn't allow me to do that.

Text messaging at first was never intended for general public use, but networks realised it was a way to generate revenue. Originally there was no inter network texting and certainly no roaming.

The GSM specification for SMS were laid down at the time digital networks came into being in 1993 so yes, it is old technology. There is no way that will change, especially as there are other message options now available 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your interesting reply/ comments.
As you say there are many message options available today. But, it would seem, banks are still in the dark ages (including credit card companies and PayPal). They don't consider alternative verification channels as worthy or safe, or both! They still only use texts to send codes to verify withdrawals etc. I have tried to get them to send messages to alternative email addresses or to messaging apps (As an example, WhatsApp is supposed to be as safe as you can be, with encrypted message. I don't think texts are encrypted?).
Bizarrely and worryingly, I found a way round PayPal's so-called secure system. I told them and explained how easy it was to get into a PayPal account from outside the UK (without using a phone). Yet they insisted their system was safe. They just weren't interested in the weakness I found.
0 Kudos