Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Really old PAYG phone, got a new SIM card but have never had an account...

My dad has had a virgin PAYG phone for years (and years) and has never had any issues - he tops it up using the e-top up card it came with.  Now he has received a new SIM card but when we have put it in the phone it say it needs the network passcode before it will proceed switching on.  Having looked around on the internet it seems this can be obtained by signing into the myvirgin account.  This is where the issue is.  As he has never had an account we tried to create one, we received the text message with the one off code in it but then we got asked a security question which we have never set up.  I have tried calling 789 but just get directed to the website help pages and I have messaged virgin but with no reply as yet. Has anyone got any other ideas I could try?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Really old PAYG phone, got a new SIM card but have never had an account...

OK

Firstly

When he got the letter does it have an unblocking code printed on it. If not check the bottom left of the red card. (It will be a long number)

Secondly

What make and model of phone. Some older models are not compatible but I should be able to advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I will check the model number when he gets back. There's nothing on the letter but there is an 8 digit code on the big card surrounding the sim. I'll give that a go...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Just tried the code on the card but that didn't work. The model no. is GT-E1230.... told you it was old...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Released 2011. Had 2003 on here!

I'm not up on unlocking these but in checking out the specifications it runs on Java firmware. Reports so far indicate that even unlocked Java phones display problems with these SIM cards. 

I think you have 2 options. 1. Replace the phone. 2. Move to a network whose SIM cards will work with the phone in its present state. EE, BT, Plusnet, ASDA and 1p Mobile.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply, I was thinking that a new phone was likely.... going to take another 10 years to train him to use it lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some good phones out there

Doro phones are aimed at older people and are easy to use

0 Kudos