cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-activating old mobile phone number

xemiliebarnes
Just joined

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to regain access to an old mobile number and what the options are. Quick back story, my contract was ended last year as I did not need a UK number anymore, however I need a text message verification code which has been sent to this number (this is my only option). I have tried to call it but it doesn't belong to anyone. Is it possible to get a SIM card activated again with my old number?

8 REPLIES 8

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The number will have been returned to the pool operated by all networks pending reissue. There is no way to get it back

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello xemiliebarnes

Thanks for your post 

Bad news sorry 

We would not be able to reactivate that number 

Gareth_L

What does 'pending reissue' mean? Why is it not possible to request a specific number if it has not been allocated to someone else?

I am in exactly the same position. I moved abroad and have now returned. The account lapsed, and as I've only ever had 2 mobile numbers in 20yrs I'd really like to get my deactivated one back. I've dialled it. It's not been reassigned.

Hi EnnEss,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you lost a number you used for many years, how long were you abroad for?

Regards

Paul.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Numbers are quarantined for a while and then made available to the original issuing network. So for example an O2 number PAC coded to Virgin would be made available on O2 etc.

Numbers are always issued on a use it or lose it basis. 

I have never heard of anyone being able to get a number back after a protracted period of time.

I have a number I would prefer keep. If I was in a situation where I would be closing an account and not using if for a while I would PAC it onto a PAYG account which I would keep active.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I was away for 3yrs but think my no was deactivated some time in 2020. In the mean time should I just purchase a new Virgin or O2 PAYG sim?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EnnEss wrote:

I was away for 3yrs but think my no was deactivated some time in 2020. In the mean time should I just purchase a new Virgin or O2 PAYG sim?

That is least a year ago, maybe a bit longer so no chance of getting the number back 

Virgin no longer do PAYG for new customers and the service closes completely in January next year.

Thanks for the info. I'd better choose another provider then.