Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Isle of Man

RDF
Superfast

Hi Zoie

How did you get on investing this ?

I have an unlimited SIM as part of my broadband package and would like to check how it will roam on the Isle of Man.

It's probably fine as all our other networks roamed there, but now I'm paranoid so could you confirm please?

Thanks

Roy.

14 REPLIES 14

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @RDF, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Have you set up roaming on your account? You can check this here.  When travelling, what handsets are you going to be using?  As you may require to change some settings on your handset.  Have you checked our Roaming Hub for the costs of using your service?  If you need me to either ensure your international roaming is set up or you require the settings for Apple and Android handsets, please do let me know.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee,

Not yet, but I am aware I wil need to.

Xiaomi hand sets, F3 .

Yes but it suggests I cannot roam or at least no services are available.

It also says 

"When roaming in the rest of the world, or in the EU once you go over your allowances (or breach our fair usage limit), you’ll be charged for whatever you use until your next refresh date, or when you return to the UK. We'll help you to avoid surprise mobile bills by setting a Data Spend Cap."

So I wanted to ask for confirmation if I roam will it work and how much will it cost me.

At present unlimited everything is included in my package.

Thanks.

Roy

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-roaming-hub/The-Isle-of-Man

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the link, that's where I got the text I quoted.

It says theres nothing but then also says I have my normal allowances in the rest of the world.

The Isle of Man is nearer to me than London, is wasn't in the EU,so not covered by the "EU" definition from Virgin, but Virgin seem to also suggest it's not covered in their definition of "the rest of the world"

Hi RDF,

I've been having this issue everytime I go across to the Isle of Man.

Last time I couldn't even get a signal. It's something to do with with the agreement between Virgin media and the mobile providers on the island. I think I can use my mobile I'll in the Seychelles which is many thousands of miles away but 80 miles across the Irish sea or whatever the distance is, is not possible. And yes I have roaming switched on as well.

I go to Jersey from time to time, same thing there.

That's bonkers.

Pretty much every other network roams / "roams like home" on the Isle of Man (and channel islands).

Doesn't VM use Vodafone's network? Vodafone (according to Google) works on the Isle of Man, so why can't Virgin ??

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin use both Vodafone and O2 for signal but that is far as it goes.

You can roam in the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands provided you set Roaming in the SIM Toolkit to International and not Automatic as that function does not work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'm very aware of the settings, but it works not work for me.

It was lovely having no phone disturbance other than linking into wi-fi. 

After more searching, lots of people have tried it and it's not worked.

This link https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/Channel-Islands-and-Isle-of-Man-roaming-tips/ba-p/... explains how to do it, so it *should* work.

The other link says the services are not part of a monthly SIM. 

The only thing I needed to do for my previous BT Mobile SIM to work on the Isle of Man, was go to the Isle of Man. It just worked.

Virgin can't be that far behind all the other providers ???