cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is Virgin media really using the inferior Vodaphone network now?.

bjc47
Joining in

My mobile signal has deteriorated considerably since 2021 and I cannot get a signal in the house, or even garden here in Epsom. I am told this is because Vodaphone has taken over from EE whose reception  is noticeably better. (My sister has an EE phone). I am also told that if I switch to the new Sony Xperia I0 IV  it  will be covered by O2. This is confusing . Can anyone clarify?

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM mobiles are being moved to the 02 network. You should be able to see if you have been moved by trying a manual network switch on your phone.  If 02 isn't available then you have been switched.

In my experience Vodafone and 02 are equally as bad at my home location.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like if you are about to change phones then you need to either get one on EE or go SIM Free and get a SIM only deal on a network that uses EE

Virgin Mobile are now part of the VMO2 joint venture so I'm not expecting any more moves after this next switch.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I think you have to be mindful that mobile reception varies considerably by location (some vendors investing more in their infrastructure for starters).

I live in the suburbs of a big city and although 5G is unavailable to me the speed I get (I use NPerf as a speed testing tool - a relaible speed tester is essential) is the same for O2, 3, Vodafone and EE.

BUT I also have a static caravan on the coast in a very rural location and the differences there are startling. O2, 3 and Vodafone average out at around 6-8mbps yet EE averages at around 75mbps in a range os 55mbps-100mbps. Quite a difference.

My advice to anyone, especially in a rural location, is to get the cheapest SIM only with a little data on it for all the vendors and test the speed. My 3 contract expires next month so I will use the Virgin supplied O2 one as I am mainly at my home address. But I have also purchases a unlimited data EE SIM for my rural location so I can work (and stream) there when I choose.

And by the way in the good old days whern it was Virgin/EE I was getting around 40mbps in that rural location which is less than the 75mbps I get now with a 'dedicated' EE SIM.

And the setup I have at the rural location (which includes an Archer Router and 4g aerial for tethering) has been the same for all vendors.