Menu
Juglugs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

RCS messages keep failing on Android 5G

Since I've had my Galaxy S20FE on 5G both mine and my wife's RCS messages keeping failing with a spinning disc which eventually resorts in us having to use SMS and/or MMS for which I get charged per picture.

Anyone know how to fix this? Every time I've asked Virgin they just follow the fault tree and get me to uninstall and reinstall everything...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: RCS messages keep failing on Android 5G

Hi Juglugs,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with the RCS messaging. We can certainly appreciate your frustration with this. 

I have been able to locate your account and do wish to assist with this. 

To confirm is this RCS on a 3rd party app? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Juglugs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Well, it started when I received the new 5G SIM. Google Messages stopped working properly, so I uninstalled Google Messages and reverted to the stock Samsung/Android Messages App that came with the phones (mine and my wife's)

However, RCS messaging seems to fail a lot of the time, resulting in us having to wait for a spinning disc until it asked us to retry, which resulted in a few more minutes of a spinning disc, and eventually sending it via SMS.

It happens a lot with pictures so I end up getting charged the MMS message rate for each one when I intended to send it via RCS.

I do know a couple of people who have 'fixed' the problem by being sent replacement SIM cards...

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

To confirm do you have WhatsApp installed on the device? And have you been able to try that?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Juglugs
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

Both WhatsApp and FB Messenger work on these devices (on WiFi and on Mobile data) - we've been using them instead of Messages because of the failures - but I'd rather use Messages.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

What I will need to do is private message you to get some information so we can take a look over your account. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Juglugs, 

Thanks for chatting with me and Martin in your PM's, and for sharing your insight into this issue with us 🙂

In the end we came to the conclusion that it's not something we can help with, Martin was a trooper and went through every diagnostic question he could think of. But in the end I think we concluded that it was an issue with Samsung Messaging, you've found a way around the issue by downloading Google Messages on both handsets and the RCS Messages are working fine now.

If you have anything else to add about this please do, so that the wider community can get further help.

Once again, thanks for being a pleasure to chat with, I hope you have a lovely weekend!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos