Menu
DABhand
Super solver
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Question in regards to PAYM tariff cancellation

The credit agreement was for your phone anyway nothing to do with the tariff, but I seem to be getting conflicted reports from other people who cancelled and everything was closed including the account, others had accounts left open and on PAYG.

So something isn't cricket somewhere along the lines.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Apologies for any confusion around the cancellation of a mobile contract.

If you choose to cancel your mobile services without the use of a PAC or STAC, we must convert this to PAYG in order to process the disconnection. I can assure you that it isn't to "save" anything as the disconnection still goes through, it is just part of the process of cancelling the SIM.

This also ensures that the number remains available for a short period in case the customer changes their mind about the cancellation.

Thanks,

Rachael

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Okay but what's the rumpas with the bill after this happens? I owe you £2 for using the allowances given for the time I had the sim - but the system has put next months entire amount on top of that amount and billed me to my Oomph sim! I am not paying for the money after the sim was terminated. 

That's messed up!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi happywithmy350

Can I ask if you have already cancelled your sim card with us or are you in the process of disconnecting?

If you have already disconnected your sim card you will be charged up until the disconnection date. If your bill was produced halfway through your disconnection it will have generated a full months bill.

This will automatically be adjusted when the disconnection goes through to the correct amount for the month.

If you have any queries with your bill amount we will gladly look in to this further for you.

Thanks Jodi.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Rachael_F but I'm still a bit confused with your reply:

@Rachael_F wrote:

Hi all,

Apologies for any confusion around the cancellation of a mobile contract.

If you choose to cancel your mobile services without the use of a PAC or STAC, we must convert this to PAYG in order to process the disconnection. I can assure you that it isn't to "save" anything as the disconnection still goes through, it is just part of the process of cancelling the SIM.

While the SIM disconnection may go through, the conversion from Pay Monthly to PAYG you describe means that there is still a contract in place between the customer and Virgin Media, an unrequested PAYG contract, which will still link the customer to the SIM and its associated contract and which may then run on for a further 365 days.

This would be against the express wishes of the customer to cancel their contract, not to convert it.

If you "must" convert a contract from Pay Monthly to PAYG merely to process a cancellation, that would suggest a flaw in VM's cancellation procedures.

There is no mention of a Pay Monthly contract having to be converted to a PAYG contract to process a cancellation request here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile-switching-faqs

Cancelling without changing provider

You can also call us, and ask us to terminate your contract, which you won’t need a PAC or STAC for. Just remember to use any credit you have left as you will lose it when you cancel your account.

Please Note: When you cancel your account, your mobile number will terminate and you will not be able to get this mobile number back. If you want to keep your mobile number, please follow the PAC process.

It also suggests it would be next to impossible to immediately cancel a VM's PAYG contract without a PAC or STAC code, as evidenced here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-how-do-i-cancel-my-contract

If you’ve got a Pay As You Go airtime plan, you need to let us know you want to leave by requesting either a PAC or STAC. For more information on requesting your PAC or STAC click here.

Otherwise you can simply stop using your SIM and we’ll disconnect the number after 365 days.

This also ensures that the number remains available for a short period in case the customer changes their mind about the cancellation.

Thanks,

Rachael

It would appear to be impossible to immediately cancel either a Pay Monthly or PAYG mobile phone contract with Virgin Media without a PAC or STAC code, unless you can show different?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sololobo

When a customer decides to cancel their pay monthly service with us the mobile number will be converted to a pay as you go.

This gives the customer the freedom of being able to top-up and use the number should they wish.

If not the number will be closed down after a period of non-usage. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, which avoids answering the questions asked in post #15.

@David_Pn wrote:

Hi Sololobo

When a customer decides to cancel their pay monthly service with us the mobile number will be converted to a pay as you go.

Why? If the customer requests their service and contract be terminated, why then are they put on a different type of contract against their express instruction to cancel?

An unwanted contract is put in place, one which links the customer to the allocated mobile phone number against their wishes.

This gives the customer the freedom of being able to top-up and use the number should they wish.

If the customer wished the freedom to continue to use the number they would have used a PAC or STAC code to do so.

According to the information provided here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile-switching-faqs#leaving the contract will be terminated immediately and the number lost.

Cancelling without changing provider

You can also call us, and ask us to terminate your contract, which you won’t need a PAC or STAC for. Just remember to use any credit you have left as you will lose it when you cancel your account.

Please Note: When you cancel your account, your mobile number will terminate and you will not be able to get this mobile number back. If you want to keep your mobile number, please follow the PAC process.

If not the number will be closed down after a period of non-usage.

What period of non-usage will result in the number being closed down?

To paraphrase: Brexit should mean Brexit 

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

EDIT: I thought 0870 numbers were inclusive, apparently not... weird. Mandela effect lol

Majide!
0 Kudos
banditwow
Tuning in
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile clearly fail to carry out correct processes. If I had not moved abroad I would take this further. Like Solobobo says when you specifically state that you want to cancel a contract and then get another contract (PAYG) that is not good. I wonder if this is even legal. I wanted my number to be disconnected not to carry on for the compulsory 60 days after which the non-used PAYG sim (your old sim) will be stopped. 

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@DABhand wrote:

Looking for information here, if someone cancels their PAYM contract with 30 days notice, is it standard for them to get placed on a PAYG tariff when they requested they didn't want to be on a tariff at all after the 30 days?

@DABhand, did you ever get a definitive answer to this issue? For further information see below.

Pay Monthly and Pay Monthly Sim Only Terms and  Conditions

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/PAYM-AND-PAYM-SIMO-...state:

10. When our Agreement ends
10.1 Your right to cancel:
You may cancel this Agreement:
(a) by notifying us within 14 days from the date your contract started
that you want to end this Agreement without giving any reason;
(b) at any time after that for any reason by giving not less than 30 days’
notice to the Team on 789 from your Virgin Mobile handset or by
calling 0345 6000 789*;
(c) by giving not less than 30 days’ notice if we break this Agreement in any
material way and do not put it right within 7 days of you asking us to;
(d) if all of the Services are permanently no longer available to you; or
(e) if you do not accept any change that we notify you about in
accordance with clause 5.3 and you notify us in accordance with
clause 5.4 that you do not accept such change.

10.4 Effect of cancellation:
If this Agreement is cancelled you will need to pay us on cancellation
all unpaid Charges on your account. Unless you have cancelled this
Agreement under clause 10.1(a), 10.1(c), 10.1(d), 10.1(e) or we have
cancelled this Agreement under clause 10.2(d), 10.2(e), 10.2(f) or 10.3
then you must also pay on cancellation the monthly (or other periodic)
Charges owed for each month of your Contract Allowance through to
the end of your Minimum Term. Where your Minimum Term is more than
one month the Charges will be less any costs we save as a result of your
cancellation before the end of the Minimum Term. We will advise you
of the Charges ahead of cancellation and you can find details of such
Charges on the Virgin Mobile website at virginmedia.com/legalstuff. If
this Agreement is cancelled for any reason:
(a) your SIM will be disconnected from the Network;
(b) you will not be able to use our Services at all;
(c) you will lose your phone number (unless you move to another
network) and must return your SIM to us; and
(d) you will lose any unused Top Up or Add-on credit on your account
(except in the circumstances set out in clause 5.4)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos