Menu
MichaelW4545
Settling in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Purple Sim and Nokia E66

Hi everyone

I've been with Virgin mobile for 17 years and not had any problem with my service.

My problems started last week when I replaced my old 12-year-old red sim card with the new purple one. The phone is a 2011 Nokia E66 feature phone. it recognised the sim immediately and I thought everything was fine until I noticed that it started going into a restart cycle every 2 minutes.

I turned the phone on and off again, I wiped the sim contacts, I tried it in another Nokia E66 handset and it kept doing the same thing.  I tried it in my friend's smartphone and it worked perfectly.

I love smartphones, they can do more than my desktop computer, but I find them difficult to use to make telephone calls or send SMS messages. Since my Nokia Asha 300 stopped working about 3 years ago, I found that the only new feature phones available are very cheap basic phones that would have seemed old fashioned ten years ago. I've been using refurbished Network unlocked Nokia E66s from ebay until now.

I realise that my current phone is not compatible with the new sim card. Virgin only offer the Energizer Energy E12, which I don't like. I wondered if anybody else is using a feature phone (preferably an old one by Nokia) without any problems with the new purple sim card

All I want is a small pocket-sized phone for making and receiving call, T9 SMS prediction, WLAN/Wifi and a java web browser for reading the news headlines. Is it possible or will I have to change network after all these years?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Purple Sim and Nokia E66

You mention Java Web Browsers. Sad to say that will probably entail a Java operating system which is the cause of the instability you are experiencing.

What you are describing is a feature phone which used to be popular. Not many about now 

Check out these people who have a very good reputation 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.doro.com/en-gb/products/mobile-phon...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelW4545
Settling in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Purple Sim and Nokia E66

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the Symbian operating system is the problem?

Thanks for the link, the Doro phones are very basic phones, I was hoping for a feature type phone that was compatible. Having said that all of the browser capable phones would run off Symbian or Java J2ME and if that is what is causing the problem then I am out of luck on Virgin. 😞

0 Kudos