Menu
WalkerBoh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Purple SIM Card Swop

So received several Text's and one email so far to let me know SIM card is on the way that will improve Network but can not find a single mention of precisely what improvements this will give to use

So please can you let me and others now I am sure they will be very excited

I am currently getting ~72Mbps download on 4G measured over several days so if its going to improve that very impressed

But as I am seeing many people posting of problems maybe not so

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Purple SIM Card Swop

The new SIM cards are to move you off EE's core network and on to Virgin's own. From now on EE will only supply signal. They will also allow a seamless move to  new signal supplier (Probably now O2) late next year.

Virgin have just added WiFi calling for some phones with more to come. Something not possible on the old cards

If you don't change now there will be a gap in service as the Red SIM is turned off.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

WalkerBoh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So the network improvement amount to Wifi Calling which is cool well overdue

The big negative if moving to either O2 or Vodafone a decrease in speed on 4G at least, wonder if we will get a discount at the time if that is the case in proportion to the decrease

0 Kudos
WalkerBoh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Forgot actually Wifi calling been around for some time now Wifi Calling just not my model of phone Virgin does not support (even now swooped sim) it is available on my phone on other networks so the phone is not the issue or OS version

So apart from possibly making it a cheaper contract for virgin by switching to another provider at some time in the future (nothing wrong with that as long as it does not impact customers) what are these network benefits (excluding 5g) for customers a reference link please

Currently I get 70+ Mbps for example the maximum real world is 100Mbps

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The main ones so far as WiFi Calling with compatible devices, and Spending Caps to allow customers to manage their out of allowance usage.

The reason WiFi Calling is only on some devices at present is that each network has it's own version of WiFi Calling - so each device needs the settings within it to work with each version. The longer a network has run a WiFi Calling service, the more devices may work with it.

But the new SIMs will allow Virgin Media to launch new services without having to change SIMs again, so it's not just about what's available now but what's possible in the future.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

At the moment you have what you had before, with the promise of more to come. However, if it comes to a point you are not happy it only takes seconds to get a PAC code.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
WalkerBoh
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate your feedback 

This is true to an extent but seems a shame as a very long time Virgin customer with all their services I get a reasonable discount for mobile. If pay a lot for other services but consider due to reliability (for me at least) and good consistent high speed pretty good support not the usual is it switched on worth the extra to me. If it was awful I would just get the super cheap provider

But yes EE is about £4 different soon a couple of other real fibre providers are starting to offer services so maybe time to move then might actually get ipv6 then so I can connect to work without having to use a tunnel broker

Perhaps I am a pessimist but sounds like Virgin say better network (possibly) while considering Vodafone i heard first or is it O2 both of which currently have worse network speeds when measured independently Opensignal  unless they have some way to have faster 

0 Kudos
AngryMan9
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As per usual, Virgin Media/Mobile is THE absolute disaster in the modern world for customer service:

Been sent a new SIM that doesn't have an access code that works to activate it.

Had to spend 45 mins on the phone to speak to an advisor as usual. 

Received the code, it didn't work.

Had to spend 45 mins on the phone to speak to an advisor, again. 

Was told it could be a problem SIM, so a new one is required.

New SIM did not work.

Had to spend 45 mins on the phone to speak to an advisor as usual. Was told that someone would ring me back in 24 hours, really? ...no they will I was assured. 

48 HOURS + has passed, still NO phone call.

Had to spend 45 mins on the phone to speak to an advisor as usual....

Still can't use the mobile of course. 

Now we can't get access to the account due to a 'security problem' re: password.

The 'advisor' just hung up when we asked to speak to a supervisor....

so, rang Virgin Mobile again...

Having to spend 45 mins on the phone to speak to an advisor...

Still on hold....

Why should the Virgin Empire cause a problem and then refuse to hep solve it?

0 Kudos
WalkerBoh
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is a nightmare when you can not seem to be able to communicate with the right people and get a happy resolution first time most time. Ok so sometimes things do go wrong but when they do it would be nice to be put through to the 2nd/3rd line more experienced engineers who can and will look at the registrations of the sim to see the issues while you are on the phone

Not that it helps but lot seem like this today possible struggling with staff numbers to maximize profit for shareholders that sort of thing or get taken over

Hope you get it sorted soon

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi AngryMan9, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm very sorry that the new SIM has caused you some issues and I can fully appreciate the frustration caused. 

I'd also like to apologise for the trouble and experience when speaking to the team over the phone, it's certainly not the level of service we aim to provide. 

We do certainly have some options with this, we can see if there is another unlocking code or possibly replace the handset. Can I ask what handset you're using now?

I will need some further details so I'll pop you a personal message and we can take it from there.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos