cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems receiving confirmation text messages

robklyn
Tuning in

Hi,

I have recently joined virgin mobile & I have been updating my number with various people & websites that I am register with. I have tried numerous time to update & verify my number with amazon.co.uk but I have never received a confirmation text from them. I have rang customer services & have been told the line is fine. I have since looked on the EE community and found this reply to a customer who appeared to be having the same problem:-

Re: Cannot receive Amazon verification sms

Thank you for posting into the community

Hopefully, we can get this resolved for you quickly

I had the same issue as yourself not only receiving Amazon texts, but other verification texts. 

The issue was that i had a requested the third party/premium text block and this sometimes stops the types of texts companies send to verify

Are you on Pay monthly or Pay as you go?

I can see if our chat team can help you.

Lee

Can anybody help as I am not having any luck with customer services or being able to find a solution online.

Thanks

Rob

46 REPLIES 46

Hi Lisa

My mobile number was ticked, but to be sure I deselected it and then reselected it, but now I have a revolving 'waiting' symbol next to my number. It has been like that for about 20 minutes now. I've even restarted the phone and it is still not ticked, just the revolving waiting symbol. Is this what is supposed to happen?

Should my email address (apple ID) be ticked? It is.

Ruth

Hi there - just found this thread as I have been having trouble getting OTPs from various companies - today's is the HSBC banking app. I can see this has been a problem with Virgin for years. I was thinking about changing supplier, think this may have just made my mind up for me 😞

Hi Rachel

It turned out it was not a problem with Virgin. It was my iPhone! I spent about 4 hours on a chat with Apple trying to sort it out and eventually got it working. Unfortunately, it was a bit extreme in the end. I'm not sure if you have an iPhone or Android, but these are the steps that I took with my iPhone Xs.

1. Try your SIM in another phone and resend an OTP from one of the websites that you are trying to access. If the text comes through, then the issue is with your phone, not Virgin.

2. If the issue is with your phone there are a number of things that you can try. I've listed the easiest first, but they did not work for me. Force a hard restart of your phone. One the iPhone Xs, press volume up quickly, volume down quickly, then press and hold the right hand power button until the apple symbol appears (over 1 minute).

3. Go to Settings>Messages>Send and Receive - check that your mobile number has a tick against it. I do not suggest that you deselect it if it is ticked though. On my phone, I was unable to reselect my mobile number. The rotating 'waiting' symbol appeared where the tick was and would not go, even after hours, numerous restarts etc.

4. Back up your phone to icloud, reset it to factory settings and restore from back up. Instructions for this can be found here. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/icloud/mm7e756df7fd/icloud.

Then try resending on OTP code from a website and see if this works.

5. If none of the above worked then the iCloud backup is corrupted with the bug that is causing the problem and you need to reset the phone and restore it without using a backup! This is pretty serious stuff as you will loose all your apps etc. The good news is that its not quite as bad as you think. If you save certain things like contacts, Notes, etc to iCloud and take a backup, these things get associated with your Apple ID and are imported when you start to set up your phone again, even though you have not selected to restore from a backup. The following articles from Apple tell you how to save some of your important data to iCloud before you start so that you don't loose everything. The info is not written specifically for someone wanting to restore their phone, but it is in there - eg For Notes, mine were all saved to my phone - I had to first enable iCloud notes and then move each not over individually.

Set up and use iCloud Photos
Use Notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Keep your Calendar up to date with iCloud
Keep all your messages in iCloud
Set up and use iCloud Contacts

Once everything is saved, run a backup. Reset your phone then start the setup process again. Don't select setup from iCloud backup. I can't remember the exact wording of the option I selected I'm afraid. I have a feeling it was not obvious and it may have been the last option. The Apple website says to select 'Setup as new iPhone' however, I don't remember this option.

Best of luck

Ruth

Athelie
Tuning in

After hours of trying all the above and google-tastic, I've found the issue seems to be related to Wi-Fi calling.

I'm in a poor indoor coverage area, so when Wi-Fi calling arrived I thought fantastic, however, the few times I needed to receive an SMS text message they weren't coming through. Testing with my company mobile on EE, also on Wi-Fi calling, the answer appears to be the Virgin network. Both devices can send texts, but only when Wi-Fi calling is switched off are they received on my Virgin phone, and only then intermittently due to the poor indoor network coverage.

I also found this statement on a site which was testing and comparing Wi-Fi calling on various network providers, from their tests undertaken in June: Virgin's on the other hand supports fewer phonesAnd our tests found you couldn't receive SMS text messages, even if you can send them. 

That statement pretty much sums up exactly what I'm experiencing, so not the end of the world for the odd standard SMS from older non-smart phone using family members, but a complete pain when trying to receive OTPs or similar from companies, which are more critical.

There is most definitely an issue when it comes to receiving texts over WiFi calling. I sometimes had to wait for up to 12 hours to receive texts. Had no option to switch WiFi calling off as I depended on it in order to have service as signal was so poor.

I left Virgin Mobile as they failed to admit that there was an issue with WiFi calling. Now with a different provider and everything works as it should!

Hi Emily G, no this has not been solved. Test messages from multiple sources do not get through.  My wife has no such problems with her service on Three.  If I ask for messages to be sent to my wife's phone, they arrive immediately.  Only problem is with Virgin.  Three times today, I failed to receive a text message and had to ask for emails to be sent instead.  Virgin cannot pretend problem is not with them, something is wrong and it is time Virgin sorted it out.

geofn50,

If you are referring to OTP or 2FA texts, (one time passes, and 2 factor authorisation, as used by most places like banks, building societies, Paypal, etc), then look at this thread.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Issues-receiving-OTP-text-messages-Santander/m-p/...

Been running for over 4 months now, and so far, absolutely NO effort by VM to rectify..  Might not be what you are having, but if it is, there's little or no hope of VM EVER sorting this, that's for sure...

cmrts
Joining in

I had the same issue on my iPhone. I could not receive confirmation text messages (OTP) from Amazon, Paypal, my bank etc.

I read somewhere that this was related to iPhones, particularly if you recently received a new sim card. What I ended up doing, is go to settings->general->reset->reset network settings....and that seems to have fixed it. The only annoying thing is that you will lose all your network settings (wifi etc), but that is probably a small price to pay.

Unless I was lucky and VM fixed something in the meantime, it may be worth your while trying this if you own an iPhone.

Regards

ModTeam

Hi All, 

I'm sorry to hear that some users are having issues receiving these text messages.

To allow us to further investigate this matter we do need some further details. If you are having issues receiving One Time Passcode Messages please send a private message to the 'ModTeam' account using the heading 'Unable to receive OTP', and the following information;

• Mobile number
  • Date & time you experienced the issue
  • Company/service you were expecting the OTP text from

Please only send this information through private message, do not post this here.

Once we receive your message, the examples will be passed over to our support team for further investigation. We will then update this thread with any examples. 

Mod Team

Thanks crmts, your solution solved it for me. I was unable to receive authentication texts from Google, Microsoft or PayPal from my iPhone. If I swapped the sim to an Android device I got the texts straight away. I tried reboots and hard resets but it did not help.

Your solution about resetting networks did the job. Texts also arrive ok through wifi calling too.