Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Problems on new PAYG Sim

I have received a new Sim with a letter from Virgin Mobile requiring me  to move to an improved network for my old mobile VM 621i. I have not requested a change of mobile number.

On changing the Sim card, I get the message to input a Network Key.

I have tried my personal unblock key supplied with the letter but that does not work. The mobile is unusable with the new Sim card.

To use my VM 621i mobile I have to revert to the old Sim card.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems on new PAYG Sim

Hello

The reason you get this is that older phones use to lock to the  first SIM inserted, the old SIMs were rebranded EE sims and that is what the phone is locked too, the new SIMs are VMs own SIMs.

To get around this all you have to do is goto https://www.virginmedia.com/help/unlock-code-request1 and you can request the network key, this will unlock the phone from the EE network lock to make the phone SIM free and this will resolve your problem.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Got same problem

COMPLETELY LOCKED OUT OF PHONE

So how do send a message, yet a message to the help?

LANDLINE IMPOSSIBLE

Tried the numbers on the card, the letter, those previously saved when I configured the phoned 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When you are locked out of your phone

HOW DO YOU READ THE MESSAGE REPLY?

I have filled in that form,  how do I access my phone?

a bit of a merry-go-round 😞 and frustration 

PS   I can put the old SIM back in and my phone is OK, get online, but of course NO DATA 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, Mike.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The message comes by email, as long as you have access to an email then you can get the network unlock code.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have sent off the network unlock code form by e-mail first thing yesterday and hopefully should get a reply sometime next week.Fortunately this is not a regularly used mobile so I can live with these problems.
Thanks again ,Mike.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,  yep I'm online with the computer, aka - like being here now.  I have another mobile, thinking I might use that to message them, but it might confuse their little brains.  Meanwhile, I spent half an hour waiting on the (landline) phone, in the end the MUSIC drove me MAD, I gave up.  Actually I think I would throw the phone away, tbh, but as it has £85 credit with the original deal on it, it has some value to me.  (they will not transfer the credit)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I did the form as suggested above but at the end it says watch your phone for a call. No good if you have no access to a network grrhhhhhhhh!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am rather confused by reference to unlocking codes. My wife's new SIM card came with a personal unlocking code printed very faintly under the SIM. Is this the same unlocking code that people are advised to get by filling in the form on the link?

If it is, are some people being sent red "Pop it like it's hot' cards that are different from others ;or are some people, understandably, not noticing the personal unlocking code on the card sent to them?

0 Kudos