Menu
onslow25
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Poor mobile reception

After a lightning strike blew up my mum's home through a bt cable twice last year, we decided to do away with bt's poor service .

We upgraded my mum's phone To a Doro 6520 and bought an unlimited calls dim. 

Everything working great till two weeks ago, the signal has dropped off a cliff, and my mum not being able too contact anyone. Are there any problems in the ll21 area ?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor mobile reception

Can you narrow it down with say the postcode of a local shop or some such like LL21 covers a big area

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi onslow25

Thanks for posting.

Apologies for the mobile signal issue. Can you try Phone Fix for me to see if this helps?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
onslow25
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply John. The signal problem is the same on my phone too, so not device related. The full postcode is Ll219uh for the property. It's been just over 12 months since i swapped the mobile to virgin, and up untill recently everything has been fine. I hear virgin are moving operators to 02 have they done it allready or is this something that is coming soon ? 

Thanks Dylan

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are there any known issues on our Coverage Checker?

We've joined forces with O2 but your package, services and contract will stay as they are. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well EE signal is weak on 3G and 2G (the Doro will probably use 2G)

If you have been moved to Vodafone (the new supplier) then there coverage checker shows virtually no signal. If that is the case you will need to move network.

O2 will not come on stream for quite some time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It'll do nothing to assist your immediate issues, but there is excellent EE 4G on 800Mhz in this location. Comes from a site around Glyn Myfr, if that means anything to you.

This will be available to any EE pay-monthly customer with a 4G-calling (VoLTE) compatible phone & plan. I appreciate this won't help your immediate situation, but may be worth bearing in mind if you are looking at alternate options.

0 Kudos
onslow25
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes there is a n EE mast, it's actually on my property, but don't know whether it's operational for the EE mobile network or not, it was originally put up to fill not spots in the emergency services network, with the mobile side going to be added on later, and I'm not sure whether this has happened or not, Communication with EE is awful, anand usually have to take drastic action to get in touch with the right department.

But isn't virgin mobile using EE as a carrier though ? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM have historically used EE (with caveats), but are in transition to VF.

The caveats are that EE only offer VoLTE (4G-calling) to their own pay-monthly customers, and this enables access to their "extended range" coverage on 800Mhz which is particularly good in rural & indoor settings.

The Emergency-Services-Network that you refer to, uses the same radio coverage as offered to normal EE customers. That site is carrying live commercial service now.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@onslow25 wrote:

But isn't virgin mobile using EE as a carrier though ? 

Virgin mobile are in the process of moving people to Vodafone. Their contract with EE finishes at the end of this year.

0 Kudos