Menu
2AM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor Coverage Knaresborough

Right then, just moved to HG5 which should be ok as both EE and V Mob suggests strong coverage for here. Only the signal is poor, losing network operator often. Its not very good outside.

Now Vodafone also suggests strong coverage but if I wait a year for the transfer to Vodafone and it's still poor.....

A different mast position might help, might not.

Should I stay or should I go? 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Coverage Knaresborough

Looking on my maps areas around HG5 signal seems to vary on EE. Hard to tell without the full postcode.

Vodafone looks better. 

Thing is there are only 4 networks and there is a lot of mast sharing EE share with 3 and Vodafone with O2. So moving network may prove a little more complicated than it looks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

2AM
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All the networks show strong where I am but just not in real life as far as EE/Vmob. Could you recommend a site to locate the masts in knaresborough, i will then walk the local streets concentrating on my phone whilst colliding with Telegraph Poles etc.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mast data is not generally published for general consumption. Those apps I've tried are well off.

A program called Network Cell Info will enable you to see real time levels and you can see how things change when you move. You can also read other cell info

When looking at EE coverage you have to take in mind that it includes 800MHz 4G which has a longer range and better indoor coverage. This is denied to Virgin so coverage won't be exactly the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Network Cell Info is great for viewing the radio stack info - but the mapping data really isn't upto much and is frankly pretty ropey in places.

Not many of these apps have accurate mapping data, to be fair.

2AM
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've always struggled with these things. Not just me then. I'm thinking that the Vodafone deal may well be a similar thing as regards Vmob. Tricky.

And yet why is Vmob so poor when their own site suggest the opposite?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The coverage checker on Virgin is now Vodafone which confuses people who are on EE. 

To err is human, to really foul things up you need Virgin Mobile.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@enlli wrote:

Thing is there are only 4 networks and there is a lot of mast sharing EE share with 3 and Vodafone with O2. So moving network may prove a little more complicated than it looks

Complicated isn't even the half of it!

EE & 3 have a 50/50 share in the MBNL joint venture, but that was primarily for 3G - the situation on 4G is complicated and 5G even more so. In some cases, site locations are shared, but the physical kit is now separate. In others, the passive kit is shared but active equipment is separate, and in some the antennas are common.

O2 & VF are right in the middle of splitting their "CTIL" sharing setup, and are back to - for all intents - going their separate ways albeit on shared locations.

That's not to mention the spectrum holdings that puts certain networks in a particularly good place. You really do need to look at each of the 4 network operators on their own merit - and then consider the piggyback "MVNO" operators after that.

2AM
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wow! So even if I'm looking at a future strong signal from Vodafone, it could be hamstrung due to limitation of the Vmob to Vodafone contract? It is complicated isn't it. I'll ask around and see how people are getting on. Cheers All.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Vodafone don't limit access to their network like EE. (One of the main reason for them moving)

Always good to ask around and see what other peoples experience are.

You could get a free Voxi SIM (they are realy VF) put £10 on it and check coverage.