Menu
stayaware
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please report: [REMOVED] avoid text scam

So I just received a text which looked convincing enough. It said Virgin were unable to process my latest bill, and it tells me to update my information.  Now the website it shows looks legit to the victim but to the trained eye you can clearly tell it's fake. so it takes you to http://update-virginmobile.com and it looks exactly like the real deal. But it asks for debit or visa number, account number, password, etc everything. please do not reply to this if your unsure about anything contact VIRGIN STRAIGHT AWAY. I've already reported this number to the police. And the number it came from was the EE Network.. ah figures. 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please report: [REMOVED] avoid text scam

There are lots of these doing the rounds  And the number will be spoofed and changed on a regular basis. If it is a genuine number they have inadvertently usedthen I feel sorry for the owner.

If you get any text like these forward to 7726 and delete.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
stayaware
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How does the person know I'm on virgin mobile? is this due to the first digits of the mobile number?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They don't @stayaware - they are taking a chance.

I have had texts advising that my Halifax account is at risk - I don't have a Halifax account. I've had texts saying my O2 account will be closed unless I update my DD information - I don't have an O2 account. 

Hope that puts your mind at ease 🙂 Stay safe. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stayaware
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Katie.

It's a horrible world we live in, and criminals will stop at nothing in order to obtain your information. I checked the website again today and it appears to be suspended so it must have been reported.  Stay safe Katie, all the best. x

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We do what we can to help reduced this sort of thing but they keep coming up with better and more complex scams. We do have a dedicated page where we try and keep it updated with any known spam or phishing attempts we know of and I've linked that below for you:

Security Matters

Thanks again

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I used the RCS version of Google messages which has a facility to mark and report a text as Spam. If enough people report then anyone else receiving from that number will get a warning of possible SPAM

Got one such warning yesterday re a text about my PayPal account 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20201015-141433_Messages.jpg

0 Kudos