Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Phone stuck on EE network

Just ported an android phone from 3 to Virgin. Network shows as EE. Virgin doesn’t show in the list if I try to select the network manually. How can I get the phone onto Virgin?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone stuck on EE network

Just to clarify what I suspect is happening..

In your network selection menu, you're seeing O2, VF, 3 & Virgin. But on another screen once "Virgin" is selected, it's displayed as "EE"?

Assuming you're aware that Virgin Mobile is an EE reseller, and I presume your phone wasn't supplied by Virgin, then it's probably going to boil down to "is your phone able to make and receive calls & texts?" And if the answer is positive (i.e. it's effectively a cosmetic issue rather than functional fault), then I can't see there being many options open to you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the response japitts. I don’t actually see Virgin in the network selection screen. I do have text and voice but no data. I suspect that the fact I haven’t been able to set up Virgin Media Connect is related to this network issue. It almost feels like the porting only made it half way

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not seeing Virgin listed does sound like a port or SIM problem.

For data, have you tried manually adding APN settings  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/New-Purple-Virgin-Mobile-SIM-and-need-the-APN-set...

Or try the EE APN

Name: EE Internet
APN : everywhere (case sensitive)
Username : eesecure
Password : secure
MMSC : http://mms/
MMS Proxy :149.254.201.135
MMS Port : 8080
MCC : 234
MNC : 30
Authentication Type : PAP
APN type : *

The MNC may need changing to 38

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes the AP is wrong - once you change them as above all will be good 🙂 I had to do this when I ported in
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately they haven’t worked. Maybe I need to ask for a new sim

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Thoremeister, 

Is this still an issue? 

I'd love to take a closer look if so and see what's going on, so just pop me a personal message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@thorpemeister wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately they haven’t worked. Maybe I need to ask for a new sim

If your phone won't allow you to change the AP or won't work when you do it's network locked

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought this phone with no SIM and it’s been on several networks. Last was 3. Now it shows EE. Given all that, I don’t think it’s locked. 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My mobile phone shows that I'm connected to EE even though I'm with virgin media. I've tried to change by selecting virgin, but it stays on EE! Any idea why this is happening?

0 Kudos