Menu
ChameleonFactor
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone stolen, replacement SIM + new handset = no phone number "Network or SIM error"

My phone was stolen a week ago.

I eventually figured out that you have to Google "Tell Virgin phone stolen" to get to the page were you can report it, rather than try to do it from within your Virgin website account (which tells you the *only* way to report it is via text message).

I reported it and Virgin have cancelled the SIM and sent me a new one.

My friend has given me his old Moto E4+ handset.

I've inserted the SIM card but the phone:

1) doesn't seem to have a phone number (I wanted to keep my old one)

2) says "Network or SIM error" when I try to change the call settings

3) is set to emergency calls only.

None of Virgin's 'help' pages seem to cover this and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact them without a phone. I've Google the issue and haven't found anything helpful.

What do I need to do?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone stolen, replacement SIM + new handset = no phone number "Network or SIM error"

Possibly the phone is network locked to the network on which it is purchased 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ChameleonFactor
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone stolen, replacement SIM + new handset = no phone number "Network or SIM error"

I've just checked with my friend and he bought the phone SIM-free.

He says he was on Three when he was using it, so I've applied for an unlock code from them, but that can take up to 7 days.

Anyone got any ideas in the meantime?

0 Kudos
ChameleonFactor
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've now tried the SIM in a different handset and this one seems to recognise there's a SIM there, but won't activate it.

I tried reapplying for a new SIM but haven't had any emails so I guess Virgin have just ignored it.

I seem to be in the same boat as this person who never got anywhere: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Replacement-SIM-won-t-activate-on-my-android-phon...

I can't even phone Virgin to cancel my contract with them!
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey @ChameleonFactor,

Thanks for getting in touch with us over the forums with your sim card issues.

I can look into this further for you but we cannot do anything over the open forum as we would need to discuss account details.

I will send over a private message in a moment, so that we can clear account security and look into this further for you.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
ChameleonFactor
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I think it should be fixed now, though.

I've had a second replacement SIM sent, and that didn't work either, and I've tried both new SIMs in two new phones, and neither works.

I've since bought a PAYG SIM from another company, phoned Virgin and discovered that, apparently, you are not supposed to follow the instructions that come with the SIM (put it in, restart the phone and wait) you're supposed to phone Virgin (using your phone that doesn't work) and ask them to activate it.

I also discovered that Virgin want £32 from me to close my account and I am very, very unhappy with Virgin. I've been a customer for 20+ years, but after 11 days without a phone (against my will) you want me to *pay* to leave you? *You* have broken the contract with me, not the other way round.

Very, very, very unimpressed.

0 Kudos