Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone signal

Pft
Joining in

Hi
Question:

How do I / you

Get a reasonable signal , receive & make calls using Virgin WiFi with an  Android Phone pay u go Vodafone.

7 REPLIES 7

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Pft,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Just to confirm- is the issue connecting to WiFi from your mobile? Are there issues with any other devices?

Alex_Rm

Pft
Joining in

"is the issue connecting to WiFi from your mobile? Are there issues with any other devices?"

Hi Alex_RM
The real issue seems to be Virgin Media  £ pcm for three computers - 2 imacs & 1macbook pro - that's it, nothing more & not usually all used at the same time.
I want and need a signal for my mobile phone ( pay as u go Vodafone ) inside the flat. It being basement text get through fine but not calls( making or receiving.) 
If I am not mistaken one would think as energy companies use the same WiFi with Virgin and others for energy metering and yet the problem with the phone not having Virgin WiFi for calls is becoming an issue and will make me change service provider because a phone is vital.
Hence I need a reasonable phone signal without having to tell people they have to text first when I can then go outside (to get a signal) then ring them back at a time they give.

Please refer me to sales if you cannot help.

Thanks

Thanks for coming back to us Pft, are you referring to a mobile phone signal or WiFi calling?

If the issue is with WiFi calling, does your device have the WiFi calling feature on the device and has it been activated by yourself and/or your service provider?

You state that you have to go outside to make a call, is this via your phone network or WiFi calling?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L
 INSIDE the flat = no Vodafone signal  ( only text get through )
OUTSIDE the flat = Vodafone Signal > Call & Text available 
I have no idea if my Mob phone can have access to Virgin WiFi , or the way to go about it ,if it can,
which is the reason i'm asking for advice.
I will look at  Alcatel 1 phone WiFi settings before I get back to you, & Virgin & Vodafone policy regarding WiFi and devices, perhaps you can quote me the terms re: phone use from Virgins' side.

Quote web search:
 "One of the most common questions I am asked about wireless phones is, if data usage is charged toward your wireless account plan while your phone is connected to a personal or public Wi-Fi network.

The answer is no. Generally, when your phone is connected to your home or any other Wi-Fi network, it will not connect to the 5G, 4G, 3G, or any type of wireless carrier network. Any data used via Wi-Fi will not count toward your data plan."

Thanks for coming back to us Pft, sorry I'm a bit confused as to what you actually need help with. 

You would need to enable WiFi calling via to be able to use the Virgin WiFi network to make phone calls using the network. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Once you have enabled WiFi calling on your handset and you are on one of Vodafone's more recent price plans, you should be able to call wherever there is a good enough WiFi signal.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi Roger_Gooner

“Recent Plans” is interesting as I don’t constantly use the phone day- in- day out ,in fact the web I turned off by choice , except when I do need a signal inside the flat I need to rely on WiFi working.
If I did want to surf the web etc. . .I’d do it on a desktop.

Maybe looking for a better signal inside the flat raises the question of getting a newer phone .
I will leave it there  (marked solved ) as indicated  “more recent price plans”

Chasing Vodafone up might be after / if I have trouble again.

Thanks