forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Martnewb
Settling in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Phone only ringing emergency numbers

We bought an unlocked phone from Argos for my wife's cousin. He tells us that whatever number he dials the call goes straight to the emergency number. The phone is the Alba Big Button phone, and he has had a new sim card from Virgin which he has fitted following the text instructions sent to him.

Problem is we are in Peterborough and he is surrey so I can't check the phone to make sure the sim is working/fitted OK, and to say he's not very tech-savvy is an understatement. Can you suggest anything I can do to rectify this?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone only ringing emergency numbers

I notice in pictures of the phone there is a SOS button on the back. I wonder if it is programmed to the emergency services and  connected with that getting pressed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Martnewb
Settling in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone only ringing emergency numbers

Unfortunately I can't see what he's doing with the phone. He tells me if he dials a number or uses the phone book it still goes to emergency, so I presume he's not holding the button down. I can see in the handbook that there is an SOS menu and I believe it can be switched off.

Since posting he did say the new SIM works OK in his old phone, which kinda makes me think it's a phone problem and not a SIM problem. ALBA support have suggested a reset and to make sure that calls are not diverted, but he's not too hot with tech and when I try to explain what to do to him, he doesn't really understand what I'm saying.

0 Kudos