Menu
Amit009
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone number deactivated

• I have my phone number for 14 years and last year being outside not used it for a while. However did change it from monthly to PAYG and also did the top-up. Called up few times virgin customer care and they told me their number works for 90 days outside. Once we return to UK, restarting the phone will activate the SIM and we can use the phone number. Again called up VM team and they told me number is being deactivated and there is no way we can retrieve it. Any suggestion what to do next? I am fine to go a bit further if VM not looked into it

Regards 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone number deactivated

These are the Terms and Conditions for PAYG

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

3.5 No refund: If you don’t use all of the credit in any Top Up that you purchase, or such Top Up expires (if applicable) then we will not give you a refund for it. If this Agreement is cancelled (unless you cancel in accordance with Clause 5.4) then you will also lose any credit you have on your account and we will not refund it to you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Johnboy5
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sadly what he says is correct.

The phone number is lost to you and virgin can't or wont give it back - EVER

0 Kudos
Amit009
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In that situation isn't it make sense that Company ask the previous holders before reallocating the phone number to someone else?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Disconnected PAYG numbers are returned to a pool of numbers for reuse. They will be held for a while before being returned to the network that issued it in the first place.

It has been this way since PAYG was first introduced. Some networks allow longer but never more than 6 months these days due to a shortage of numbers.

I have one that works slightly differently as it goes on top ups. but if I don't top up by 13th December I will lose both number and balance 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Amit009
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good Bye VM - hope we never meet again!

0 Kudos