Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Pay as you go changes - addict tarriff

I am on the addict tarriff and have been notified I will be changed to a new tarriff which will cost minimum 2 pounds a day to send a txt or make a call. How can I be changed to a more reasonable plan like the legacy users are going to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pay as you go changes - addict tarriff

I'm surprised nobody has replied to your question. I too have a mobile with the Addict tariff and was alarmed at being charged £2 a day to send texts, especially if I only sent one. I was told by customer services that I am free to change the tariff to Big data & Text or Big Talk tariffs. They cost a bit more than the Addict one, but they are much better than the new £2 a day charges, so I will be changing to one of those before 10th Oct. You can do this via your online account by clicking on 'About my plan'. I hope this helps you.

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They clearly want to retire this plan so are forcing people off it.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Clearly they want to close down the Addict tariff, but I think Virgin should be making it clear that Addict payg customers can switch to the Big data & texts or Big Talk tariffs. I fear there will be some, mainly elderly customers who do nothing, potenially ending up paying £60 per month if they send one text a day after 10/10/19 rather than £3 per month before. After all, you can get a new iPhone 11 on contract for just £38 a month!

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pete thanks for your answer. I have checked my account online and can change to either package - they both look very similar. Do you know how long top up credit lasts on these plans. I travel to UK each year for two months and keep my mobile number active by sending a text message each 3 months. I find this more convenient as I don't have roaming on my mobile number I use the rest of the time. I have been doing this for past 15 years and its great to be able to just switch sim cards when I arrive in UK. I find it very hard to dig out/find info on Virgins website and agree with others Virgin are not making it easy to deal with this change they are forcing us to make.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Michael. The only difference between the Big Talk and Big Data & Text is which allowance suits you if you top up either £10 or £15. If you only top up £5 that won't bother you. I've now switched to Big Talk and they are sending me a new SIM.

I always believed Virgin disconnect time was 180 days if a chargeable call or text wasn't made in that period. I was on 'The original Addict Tariff' and mine still worked well after 3 months not being used. You might be right though that some other legacy tariffs were 3 months. I struggled to find the information on the Virgin site like you, but by searching on the web I found other websites doing PAYG reviews which stated Big Talk and Big Data & Text will only be disconnected after 180 days without use. Perhaps there is someone out there who can confirm this 180 day limit is still valid.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Where have you all got this idea of a minimum charge of £2 per day just to send one text or make a call?

As far as I can see the £2 a day charge relates to using mobile data: "Just £2 per day for 200MB within the UK on days that you access the internet from your phone. Any use above the 200MB will be charged at £2 per 200MB thereafter."  

You will only be charged this if you turn mobile data on on your devices and connect to the internet.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I received an email from Virgin which states :-
Changes are coming to your Pay As You Go mobile plan. This will affect how much you pay for your calls and texts.
What’s changing?
From 10th October 2019, your Pay As You Go mobile plan will work a bit differently. This will affect how much you pay for your calls and texts.
Every day, the first 200 minutes of calls you make will cost £2 total, and then 1p a minute after that. This includes calls to landlines including calls to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man (starting 01, 02 or 03), Virgin Mobile phones and other UK networks. It means even if you make a 5-minute call a day or a couple of calls up to 199 minutes total a day, you’ll still pay the same £2.
It’s the same for the first 200 texts you send. They’ll cost £2 total, and then 1p a text after that. It means even if you send 1 text a day or 199 texts a day, you’ll still pay the same £2.
Your data will still cost the same. That’s £2 total for the first 200MB of data you use every day, and then £2 for the next 200MB after that.
What do I need to do?
If you’re happy with the change, there’s nothing you need to do.
We hope you’re enjoying your Virgin Mobile services, but if you’d like to leave us because of this change, head to our Switching Hub for more info or call us for free on 789. Make sure you use up all your credit before you leave or call 789 for a refund.
Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

Seems clear enough to me that they are going to charge 2 pounds per day for one call, one txt and 200 mb data each day. .

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I received the same email as Michael and also a text. I checked with customer services they weren't some sort of scam. The change is a good one for those people ( if there are any ) that are on their mobile for 3 hours a day or send 200 texts a day, but poor for those who make one short call a day or send one text at day.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @Michael4551  that is absolutely clear.  They did make some changes to some of the other legacy tariffs last month but nothing as draconian as that.  Unless you have a pressing reason to stick with Virgin Mobile I'm sure there are much better PAYG tariffs available elsewhere for occasional users.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped