cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental Controls Not Working - Mobile

emailwoes
Tuning in

I've been doing some testing on my son's phone and it turns out that the parental controls setting is not working. I've made sure it is turned on, on the accout he is using, yet the device can still access adult sites.

Here's what I've done to test this:

1. Tested access to well-known adult site - it worked
2. Turned OFF parental controls, access to website still worked.
3. Turned ON parental controls, access to website still worked.
4. Moved SIM to different handset, access to website still worked.

I then took another one of my Virgin mobile phones where the parental controls DO work for the exact same website, I experimented with turning the controls on and off for that account and access to the website was blocked/permitted as expected.

So, the situation is, one of my accounts has not had the parental controls applied to it, regardless of how I set the setting on my account.

I have spoken to an incredible rude lady at customer services who simply told me parental controls are turned on and that I must be using our Wifi, a proxy or VPN to access adult websites. Even though I explained that I have tried the SIM in a different handset with the same results, she continued to speak over me as if I was technically inept (global enterprise IP expert for 25yrs) and eventually disconnected me.

Has anyone experience this? Do I need to report them to Ofcom for failing to protect my son, or will they say that's my job as I gave him the phone?

6 REPLIES 6

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A member of the Team will be along shortly and will sort this for you.

Remember any changes to Parental Controls will not be actioned till you restart the phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @emailwoes

Thanks for posting on our community forums

Sorry to hear about your issue, I am going to drop you a private message to collect some details and to check on this for you, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That's not strictly true as in my tests of turning the controls on/off the result was pretty much instant, without restarting the handset.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @emailwoes

Have you received the private message from myself? This can be found by the purple envelope at the top of the page, we'll look to get this sorted for you.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

emailwoes
Tuning in

I've figured this out now.

On the iPhone there is a feature called "Private Relay (Beta)" that is designed to keep your IP address and web browsing data private. Turning this on, completely bypasses all Virgin Media parental controls, as I expect it would given how it works.

Feel free to delete this entire post now and to call me technically inept 🙂

Still no need for CS to be so confrontational though.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @emailwoes

Thanks for your reply

Great to hear this is now sorted for you, I hope you have a great day. My apologies for the inconvenience

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team