Menu
Pamyou32
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Pac fraud

On Monday my dad received a text message from virgin mobile with a pac code that he had not requested. On Tuesday his he stopped receiving emails on his virgin media account.  He went into the virgin mobile shop to investigate these and was told that he had requested a pac code, he had not, and that there was nothing they could do. He went into his bank to check his account linked to the payment of his phone to find it had fraudulent activity on it.  He contacted virgin mobile who continued to say that there was nothing they could do as he had requested a pac code. Again I reiterate he had not.  His phone was cut off on Wednesday and he subsequently discovered that his number had been ported to another mobile provider.  My hasband and also discovered that his email had an auto forward put on it to intercept any emails coming in which was why he had stopped receiving them.  Again my dad contacted virgin media to say his emails had stopped working and was told everything was fine and they couldn't help.  He contacted virgin mobile who just keep telling him that he requested the pac code. Clearly both his virgin accounts have been fraudulently accessed and my dad needs answers.  He is elderly with some health issues and we need answers. Is anyone able to investigate?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pac fraud

I read this with interest as you are the second person to come on here with this problem

Seems it is widespread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4KP0wb95d6XkSPwbB0GYSdt/sms-bank-fraud

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Pamyou32,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community,

I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened to your dad, and I can understand that this would be really concerning for both you and him, especially as he didn't request his PAC code.

I'd like to help you with this, so I'm going to pop you a private message to take some details.

I'll speak to you there.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Would be nice if the industry had something in place so you could actually stop the use of a PAC Code quick and easily against fraud.

IE: like when you receive the PAC Code text, it would also include "if you did not request this PAC" - reply "STOP"

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
smonkey1
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My husband received a text yesterday saying he was leaving and moving to O2, he had not requested to leave.

He called Virgin and informed them of the issue and was told all they could do was a leave a message for a supervisor to call him. Despite him asking them how it was possible if the phone was out of service they still didn’t attempt to stop what was an obvious fraud attempt.

O2 advised someone had ported his number and only Virgin could stop it.

Virgin did absolutely nothing and today he had his credit card declined. We spoke to Barclaycard, £11,000 has been charged to us today! Obviously they couldn’t contact him because his phone is out of service.

On speaking to our bank, someone using my husbands number is calling them trying to access our funds. We feel like we are under attack!

If Virgin had any semblance of security this would not be happening, but to then not act when reported is unforgivable.

So, thanks to you my husband is away from home with no mobile. His business will suffer as his customers can’t contact him. I’m left feeling vulnerable at home as the fraudsters also have our address.

Total lack of service yet again.

i don’t suppose this will get a response from Virgin, but I bet a get a survey!

If only we had left.

0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@smonkey1 

Sorry to hear, hope it all gets sorted out quickly for you both.  Bit disturbing to hear Virgin we're in no rush to help or take it seriously 😠

Also time to try and find/work out how they obtained all the info for your husband's account security for the PAC and the bank card details needed?.

Bit late for you, but for anyone else reading this who receive a PAC code they did not request - you need to inform/phone all the banks you are with and put a stop on all card transactions immediately, then phone Virgin about the PAC code.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Agreed. Banks first and clamp things down as they are much more security concious.

However, easy to say with hindsight as most people will not have heard of this scam and assume it is something to do with the service provider.

What disturbs me is this is the third on Virgin reported here when we have posts from genuine people who can't get past their own security to their account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Melissa_F
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi smonkey1,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I'm so sorry that your husband has had his number taken fraudulently. This is unsettling that you haven't received the help you've needed when speaking with our team. 

I'd like to help you with this, so I'm going to pop you a private message now.

I'll speak to you there.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Steve-NG
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Someone obtained my phones PAC number from Virgin mobile without my knowledge and then proceeded to try and empty our bank account. Here is what happened.

On the morning of 2nd October 2020 I had a notification on my mobile phone telling me that ”SIM not provisioned” and when I tried to make a call the phone came up with “not registered on network”. At first I thought the phone was in a poor signal area but it persisted and so I contacted Virgin Mobile call centre who told me that someone had requested my PAC number to move to a new network provider, I explained it hadn’t been me and asked what could be done about this security breach – the operator could raise a ticket with the team and they would arrange a call back two hours later (never got a call back). But this is a security breach I explained and could I talk to a manager or even a Director with responsibility for that area of the business. The operator tried to contact the team who deal with porter moves of phone numbers – nobody available. Could I speak to any manager then or Director; all in a meeting or doing something.  All the managers can’t be in a meeting please let me speak with a manager. The agent goes away twice to contact a manager but to no avail and her frustration that she couldn’t help me except by raising a ticket to arrange a call back. I was insistent that I wanted to speak to a manager and the agent was insistent that she couldn’t get hold of one, we were going round in circles and eventually she put the phone down. So I contacted the team via the online chat service. Again the best they could do was raise a ticket to get this investigated and that I should contact them in 3 to 5 days to find out what had happened and what they were doing about recovering the phone number. Whilst this chat was ongoing my wife checked our online banking and low and behold someone was trying to spend thousands of pounds from our accounts. I explained the bank fraud was being attempted in the chat with the Virgin agent but they couldn’t do any more.

Fortunately the transaction had been flagged up through the banks security process and the funds hadn’t yet been released. But, they were going to phone my mobile to check that we approved the expenditure before releasing the funds and guess who now had that phone number………………..

We were extremely lucky not to have suffered a loss and indeed the criminals did try to move money again whilst we were talking to the bank about the problem. All very concerning to say the least.

My overriding concerns are that the Virgin agents try really hard to resolve problems but that they are thrown under the bus, they have no effective support or processes to arrange urgent interventions or provide an escalation route. Just when you need them most the best they can do is raise a ticket for a 3 to 5 day response or try and get you a call back after 2 hours.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The biggest problem with Virgin at the moment is they are virtually unobtainable. They put it down to Corvid, but I have dealt with 4 or 5 other companies using call centers. My longest wait to date has been 6 minutes. 

When you do get through the agents work to very tight parameters and do not seem to have the power to action anything out of the ordinary. I suspect they are the cheapest call centre Virgin could find.

Glad you caught this one in time but if you had noticed later they would have got away with it.

0 Kudos