Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

PAYG

Sorry to drag this all up again ,but nothing seemed to be happening with me re the charging changes until the other day when I got a message informing me that I needed a new SIM. I would like to know the implications of this. I understand in a way as I have the original SIM included with the Nokia 1100 I purchased 16 years ago. I hardly ever used it as it was just for emergencies in the car and as long as I made a quick call every 6 months it stayed connected. It is being used a lttle more now to receive OTP when logging into the bank and email verification. I would really like to keep the status quo , but if I am to be charged £2 here and there I may have to make a change.

Further to this I had already decided that a more modern hand set would be beneficial and a Doro 5516 (unlocked) should be delivered today. Would you advise that I put the new sim into that or go elsewhere. ? Any comments gratefully received. Silvasonic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: PAYG

Virgin PAYG is too expensive, I would advise looking at 1p mobile or moving to a pay monthy option

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply ,I had already found 1p mobile and am considering the £30pa option. Pay it and forget it !
I have got my PAC code already in case I needed it. Regretfully Virgin told me if I leave no refunds are forthcoming so that £12 up the spout ! Silva sonic.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It might be a good idea to donate your outstanding credit to a charity that accepts text messages

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/text-to-donate
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That is a very good thought.
If you could help, I have another question. 1p mobile require 2 working days notice to transfer number , will my virgin sim in old phone be usable during that period ? Thanks. Silvasonic.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Your virgin sim will continue to work with the existing number untill the day of the switch

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for your help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if I may bother you once more? I have been looking further into which payg sim would be best for me. As a very low user I am thinking that the cost of using an Asda mobile sim might be considerably cheaper annually than the £30 for 1p mobile as top ups can be as low as £ 2 to 5 with only a chargable call every 6 months. If you would be kind enough to look at the comparison for me I would be most grateful . Silvasonic.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm also going to go to Asda mobile after initially looking at 1p mobile.. Yes, the calls /texts are higher but you only need to make a chargeable call/ text once every 180 days to keep number active and don't need to do any top ups. So , less than 12p a year to keep number live versus £30 with 1p mobile.
If you haven't already done so you can order a free Asda SIM online. Mine arrived within a couple of days and is now up and running. So straightforward compared to my experience with Virgin who are still ignoring requests for a PAC code so I can transfer my number over, which is breaching OFCOM rules
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply , you have confirmed what I was thinking and I will be going to Asda. I have had little or nothing to do with mobile phones in the last 16 years so it has been a bit of a learning curve to catch up on the tech and dive into a confusing market. I at least have got my PAC and hope you can obtain yours soon !
0 Kudos