Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PAYG sim registered by someone else...fraud?

I’m hoping someone help as I’m hitting my head against a brick wall with Customer Services.

Recently topped up a PAYG SIM with a considerable amount for my elderly folks only to discover that the phone and sim have just been damaged by water. I called Customer Services to get a replacement SIM (and credit) sent out and found out that the account holder of the SIM card is no one we know! They have owned the SIM from new and until we provide Virgin with the full account holder name there is nothing they can do.

Can anyone offer any advice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PAYG sim registered by someone else...fraud?

How old is this SIM and do you know where it was purchased? 

Thinking about it I doubt that it is likely to be fraud as if you were topping up and using it they would not benefit. They would also not know the SIM would be damaged.

I'll email the team to look into this. It may be some time tomorrow when they get to you 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. The SIM card is really old...potentially 10 years+ and they can’t remember where they bought it from. I wouldn’t mind if it only had tenner on it but there’s quite a lot on there and I’m sure they never registered the phone. 

It’s really frustrating as I can more than likely answer all the security questions that customer services would ask. I could even tell them the numbers they’ve called.

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How often was the phone used, and when was last time it was used?

If I remember rightly, if PAYG is not used at least once every 90 days? then it will become deactivated, and then after a short while, the number can be released for re-use by a new customer...

Wonder if this is what has happened, and the number has been re-issued to a new user perhaps, because it was deactivated for non use...

Just a thought......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It’s used almost daily and even more so over the last few weeks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi LouStam20,

Thanks for your post. I would agree with @enlli that it would not be fraud if you or your family is in possession of the SIM and are currently using and maintaining it. It might also be linked to the origin of the SIM, where it came from and perhaps how it was registered at the time, which they unfortunately can't recall. 

I'll PM you shortly to get the mobile number.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos