Menu
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

PAYG Mobile Data Charge on new phone

Having given up all hope of using my old Nokia 3410 with a new Virgin SIM, I decided to push the boat out and buy a smart phone. I noticed that my PAYG bill was notching up £2 per day for use of the internet, even though I was not using the internet.

I think I have found the answer which was to go to 'settings' on my phone, find 'mobile data' and switch it off. I have yet to be charged today so maybe that has fixed the issue. I can still use the phone and see e-mails via my wifi while at home and consider whether I want to pay £2 to use the internet when I am out and about.

It is another thing to be aware of when upgrading from old technology to new.

If this is not the answer, please would a VIP let me know. Thank you.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PAYG Mobile Data Charge on new phone

Switching mobile data off totally should do the trick

Virgin PAYG data charge kicks in with very little usage and a smartphone will always use a bit of data on startup.

Also, depending on the phone make sure that all apps only update on WiFi as an extra precaution 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ahrbee
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: PAYG Mobile Data Charge on new phone

With my iphone, the App updates button is set to automatic but use of mobile data for automatic downloads is switched OFF. Hopefully, it will update when I am home and it can use my Virgin wifi at no extra cost.

THanks for the tip to check this out. 

0 Kudos