Menu
Lttf66
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PAC Fraud

Yesterday a message popped up on my phone saying 'SIM 1 Not provisioned. I couldn't text, call or use my mobile data - I thought it was possibly just bad reception. I restarted my phone a couple of times and took my SIM out and re-inserted it but the message didn't go away. 

I decided to log into my Virgin Mobile account to seek some help and discovered that my number had been removed from my account! When I try to add it again it said that my number was from another network. I got in touch with customer services who informed me that I had requested my PAC code the day before and that the switch was now complete. I didn't even know what a PAC code was let alone request one!! The person I was speaking to was incredibly dismissive and informed me that as this was 'unintentional' she would submit a ticket to have it reversed but couldn't promise anything as it was already complete and that I wouldn't hear anything for 3-5 working days. This was not unintentional but actually FRAUD! How on earth has someone managed to gain access to do this when even I have to jump through security question hoops just to speak to this dismissive customer service agent. 

After I had spoken to customer service I searched PAC fraud and found that it is a huge issue and I am now totally appalled that I was given no advice about the potential threat to my bank accounts from the representative.

I had also just upgraded my phone with Virgin and am worried that this fraudulent switch will mean I incur charges for moving while in contract. I have no phone and feel incredibly violated.

I have been a customer of Virgin's for over 10 years and feel incredibly let down with this whole situation and the way its being dealt with. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Lttf66
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PAC Fraud

To add insult to injury my Email account has now been taken over by whoever has my phone number - I had tried to change the security information on this but the person with my number overrode this. 

I am beyond upset - losing my email means that even if Virgin try to contact me to resolve this they won't get me - they'll the person with my number. 

I don't understand how this has happened. I am so careful with my details. 

I didn't even receive notification of this fraudulent switch from Virgin and feel totally abandoned by them. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you informed your bank, card issuers and anywhere else that holds money? The idea of this swap is to get access to your finances.

I'm flagging this for attention 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lttf66
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, thanks I have now done this.

I feel pretty distraught that this has happened at all - quite vulnerable.

Virgin have now said they will get my number back within 72 hours but have given no advice or assurances and no explanation as to how this happened.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Somehow the scammers have got enough information to get past security. You need to change your username, password and memorable information. Do that for Virgin and any other online accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lttf66,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you have been a victim of fraud, so I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.